Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Bacon County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
Georgia's location in the U.S.
|Founded||July 27, 1914|
|Named for||Augustus Octavius Bacon|
286 sq mi (741 km²)
259 sq mi (671 km²)
27 sq mi (70 km²), 9.5%
43/sq mi (17/km²)
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Bacon County is a county located in the U.S. state of Georgia. As of the 2010 census, the population was 11,096. The county seat is Alma. The constitutional amendment to create the county was proposed July 7, 1914, and ratified November 3, 1914. It is named after Augustus Bacon, a former United States Senator from Georgia.
- U.S. Route 1
- U.S. Route 23
- Georgia State Route 4
- State Route 4 Alternate
- State Route 19
- State Route 32
- State Route 203
- Appling County (northeast)
- Pierce County (east)
- Ware County (south)
- Coffee County (west)
- Jeff Davis County (northwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 10,103 people, 3,833 households, and 2,813 families residing in the county. The population density was 36 people per square mile (14/km²). There were 4,464 housing units at an average density of 16 per square mile (6/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 81.48% White, 15.70% Black or African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.30% Asian, 1.46% from other races, and 0.91% from two or more races. 3.39% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 3,833 households out of which 33.00% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.20% were married couples living together, 14.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.60% were non-families. 23.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.50% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.60 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.20% under the age of 18, 9.90% from 18 to 24, 28.00% from 25 to 44, 23.00% from 45 to 64, and 12.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 96.10 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.40 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $26,910, and the median income for a family was $32,579. Males had a median income of $27,780 versus $19,049 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,289. About 20.20% of families and 23.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 31.40% of those under age 18 and 25.70% of those age 65 or over.
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/13/13005.html. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-2288
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- ^ "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/ga190090.txt. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved June 17, 2014.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
|Jeff Davis County||Appling County|
|Coffee County||Pierce County|
Bacon County, Georgia
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Bacon County, Georgia. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|