Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|LGA:||Bega Valley Shire|
Bemboka is a town in the South Coast region of New South Wales, Australia. The town is located on the Snowy Mountains Highway, in the Bega Valley Shire Local Government Area, 474 kilometres (295 mi) south of the state capital, Sydney. At the 2006 census, Bemboka had a population of 249.
The first European settlers arrived in the Bemboka area in 1871. Bemboka was gazetted in 1877, following a survey a year earlier. The town was originally named Colombo; the name was changed to Bemboka in 1883. The "Lyttleton" private subdivision was incorporated into the village in 1923. The town was the location of the former Mumbulla Shire Council administration offices and at one stage had its own newspaper, the Bemboka Advocate.
The town economy is based on dairying with butter and cheese factories all established in the late 1890s. Bemboka is notable for retaining most of its older timber buildings. The Bemboka Pie Shop is renowned within the Bega Valley Shire.
- ^ a b Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Bemboka (L) (Urban Centre/Locality)". 2006 Census QuickStats. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABSNavigation/prenav/LocationSearch?collection=Census&period=2006&areacode=UCL107000&producttype=QuickStats&breadcrumb=PL&action=401. Retrieved 2007-10-25.
- ^ a b "Bemboka". Sapphire Coast Tourism. Archived from the original on 2007-04-02. http://web.archive.org/web/20070402192543/http://www.sapphirecoast.com.au/bemboka.htm. Retrieved 2007-06-17.
- ^ a b "Bemboka". Walkabout. Fairfax. http://walkabout.com.au/locations/NSWBemboka.shtml. Retrieved 2007-06-17.
- John Hobbs. www.bemboka.net
- Bemboka School Centenary Book Committee (1996). Bemboka, village in a valley : a history of education and life in Bemboka 1840 - 1996 Bemboka School Centenary Book Committee, Bemboka, N.S.W
|This New South Wales geography article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Bemboka, New South Wales. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|