Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Ben Hill County, Georgia|
Ben Hill County Courthouse, Fitzgerald
Location in the state of Georgia
Georgia's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Benjamin Harvey Hill|
254 sq mi (658 km²)
250 sq mi (647 km²)
3.8 sq mi (10 km²), 1.5%
71/sq mi (27/km²)
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Ben Hill County is a county located in the U.S. state of Georgia. As of the 2010 census, the population was 17,634. The county seat is Fitzgerald. The constitutional amendment to create the county was proposed July 31, 1906 and ratified November 6, 1906. The county is named after Benjamin Harvey Hill, a former Confederate and United States Senator.
- Wilcox County - north
- Telfair County - northeast
- Coffee County - east
- Irwin County - south
- Turner County - west
As of the census of 2000, there were 17,484 people, 6,673 households, and 4,631 families residing in the county. The population density was 69 people per square mile (27/km²). There were 7,623 housing units at an average density of 30 per square mile (12/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 63.25% White, 32.64% Black or African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 2.85% from other races, and 0.77% from two or more races. 4.58% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 6,673 households out of which 33.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.20% were married couples living together, 17.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.60% were non-families. 26.70% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the county the population was spread out with 27.50% under the age of 18, 9.70% from 18 to 24, 27.00% from 25 to 44, 22.50% from 45 to 64, and 13.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 91.80 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $27,100, and the median income for a family was $33,023. Males had a median income of $26,750 versus $19,547 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,093. 22.30% of the population and 18.70% of families were below the poverty line. Out of the total people living in poverty, 33.30% are under the age of 18 and 17.60% are 65 or older.
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/13/13017.html. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- ^ "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/ga190090.txt. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
|Wilcox County||Telfair County|
|Turner County||Coffee County|
Ben Hill County, Georgia
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Ben Hill County, Georgia. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|