|Boone County, Kentucky|
The old Boone County courthouse in Burlington, Kentucky.
Location in the state of Kentucky
Kentucky's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Daniel Boone (1734–1820), frontiersman.|
256.96 sq mi (666 km²)
246.26 sq mi (638 km²)
10.70 sq mi (28 km²), 4.16%
349/sq mi (135/km²)
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Boone County is a county located in the U.S. state of Kentucky. It was formed in 1798. The population was 118,811 in the 2010 Census. Its county seat is Burlington. The county is named for frontiersman Daniel Boone. It is the location of the headquarters of Comair and the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, which serves Cincinnati and the tri-state area.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 256.96 square miles (665.5 km2), of which 246.26 square miles (637.8 km2) (or 95.84%) is land and 10.70 square miles (27.7 km2) (or 4.16%) is water. Its location along the Ohio River was key to its early development, as the river was the major transportation route.
- Hamilton County, Ohio (north, across the Ohio River)
- Kenton County (east)
- Grant County (south)
- Gallatin County (southwest)
- Switzerland County, Indiana (west, across the Ohio River)
- Ohio County, Indiana (west, across the Ohio River)
- Dearborn County, Indiana (northwest, across the Ohio River)
As of the census of 2000, there were 85,991 people, 31,258 households, and 23,443 families residing in the county. The population density was 349 per square mile (135 /km2). There were 33,351 housing units at an average density of 135 per square mile (52 /km2). The racial makeup of the county was 95.15% White, 1.52% Black or African American, 0.23% Native American, 1.29% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.75% from other races, and 1.03% from two or more races. 1.98% of the population were Hispanics or Latinos of any race.
There were 31,258 households out of which 39.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.60% were married couples living together, 9.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.00% were non-families. 20.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.73 and the average family size was 3.17.
The age distribution was 28.70% under 18, 8.50% from 18 to 24, 33.50% from 25 to 44, 21.30% from 45 to 64, and 8.10% who were 65 or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 97.70 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.70 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $58,749 (2004), and the median income for a family was $61,114. Males had a median income of $42,105 versus $27,414 for females. The per capita income for the county was $23,535. About 4.40% of families and 5.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.40% of those under age 18 and 7.70% of those age 65 or over.
Boone County is the location of the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, which includes the headquarters of Comair and Delta Private Jets.
- Abner Gaines House
- Big Bone Lick State Park
- Boone County Arboretum
- Dinsmore Homestead
- East Bend, Kentucky
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Boone County, Kentucky
- Richwood Presbyterian Church
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/county2k.txt. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Career Area." Comair. Retrieved on May 19, 2009.
- ^ "Contact Us." Delta Private Jets. Retrieved on October 3, 2010.
- Boone County government's website
- Historical Images and Texts of Boone County, Kentucky
- Boone County Library's Local History website
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Boone County, Kentucky. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|