Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Buchan landscape looking from township toward footbridge over the Buchan River and football ground
|LGA:||Shire of East Gippsland|
|State District:||Gippsland East|
Buchan ( // BUK-ən) (postcode: 3885) is a town in the east Gippsland region of Victoria, Australia. The town is situated adjacent to the Buchan River, in the Shire of East Gippsland, upstream from the river's junction with the Snowy River. At the 2011 census, Buchan and the surrounding area had a population of 385. The town is probably best known for the limestone Buchan Caves and 1920s parkland which are just beside the centre of the township and is a popular destination for spelunkers.
Road access to the town is via the Gelantipy Road from the north, Timbara Road from the south, and the BuchanRoad from the south-east.
The Post Office opened around October 1878, and at Buchan South in 1901 (closing in 1980).
Buchan has a picnic horse racing club, the Buchan & Gelantipy Race Club, which holds its one race meeting a year with the Canni Creek Cup in February. A rodeo is held at Easter, and the Flowers & Craft Show in November.
Golfers play at the Buchan Valley Golf Club. The town has an Australian Rules football team competing in the Omeo & District Football League. They are known as the Cavemen. They won the premiership in 1983, 1987, 1998, 2004 and 2005.
- ^ a b Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Buchan (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2011/quickstat/SSC20198?opendocument&navpos=220. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- ^ "Post Office List". Premier Postal History. https://www.premierpostal.com/cgi-bin/wsProd.sh/Viewpocdwrapper.p?SortBy=VIC&country=. Retrieved 11 April 2008.
- ^ http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2014/04/09/3981569.htm
- ^ Country Racing Victoria, Buchan & Gelantipy Race Club, http://www.countryracing.com.au/index.php?option=com_club_info&club=65&Itemid=80, retrieved 2009-05-07
- ^ Golf Select, Buchan Valley, http://www.golfselect.com.au/armchair/courseView.aspx?course_id=940, retrieved 2009-05-11
- Australian Places - Buchan
- http://www.under-victoria.com - A caving website with comprehensive information on the caves in Buchan and surrounds
|This article about a location in Gippsland is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Buchan, Victoria. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|