Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Buena Vista County, Iowa|
Buena Vista County Courthouse
Location in the state of Iowa
Iowa's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Battle of Buena Vista|
|Largest city||Storm Lake|
580 sq mi (1,502 km²)
575 sq mi (1,489 km²)
5.3 sq mi (14 km²), 0.9%
35/sq mi (14/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Buena Vista County is a county located in the U.S. state of Iowa. As of the 2010 census, the population was 20,260. Its county seat is Storm Lake. The county is named for the final victory field of General Zachary Taylor in the Mexican-American War.
Buena Vista County comprises the Storm Lake, IA Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Major highways Edit
Adjacent counties Edit
|U.S. Decennial Census|
The 2010 census recorded a population of 20,260 in the county, with a population density of 35.48/sq mi (13.700/km2). There were 8,237 housing units, of which 7,522 were occupied.
As of the census of 2000, there were 20,411 people, 7,499 households, and 5,121 families residing in the county. The population density was 36 people per square mile (14/km²). There were 8,145 housing units at an average density of 14 per square mile (5/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 88.00% White, 0.35% Black or African American, 0.13% Native American, 4.33% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 5.75% from other races, and 1.42% from two or more races. 12.54% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
2005 Census estimates of the racial origins of Buena Vista County's population indicated it had the lowest percentage of non-Hispanic Whites of any county in Iowa. The non-Hispanic whites constituted 76.1% of the county's population, with African-Americans being 1.3%, Asians 3.9% and Latinos 18.6% of the population.
There were 7,499 households out of which 31.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.50% were married couples living together, 7.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.70% were non-families. 27.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.40% under the age of 18, 12.20% from 18 to 24, 25.40% from 25 to 44, 20.20% from 45 to 64, and 16.90% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 100.40 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.40 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $35,300, and the median income for a family was $41,549. Males had a median income of $29,172 versus $20,252 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,042. About 7.60% of families and 10.50% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.60% of those under age 18 and 7.60% of those age 65 or over.
Law enforcement Edit
Law enforcement is the responsibility of the Buena Vista County Sheriff's Office (BVSO). The department provides law enforcement services for all areas of Buena Vista County, as well as providing for courthouse security, operating the county jail, and performing civil procedures. The current Sheriff is Kory Elston. The staff includes a mix of full-time deputies and reserve deputies.
The Buena Vista County Sheriff's Office is located at 411 Expansion Blvd in Storm Lake, Iowa.
Reserve officers from the Buena Vista County Sheriff's Office received the Donald H. Mackaman Outstanding Unit Award at the 2013 state reserve conference.
Buena Vista County is divided into sixteen townships:
† county seat
|Rank||City/Town/etc.||Municipal type||Population (2010 Census)
|1||† Storm Lake||City||10,600|
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/19/19021.html. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ History of the Origin of the Place Names in Nine Northwestern States. 1908. pp. 12. https://books.google.com/books?id=q_lKAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA12#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "County Totals Dataset: Population, Population Change and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". http://www.census.gov/popest/data/counties/totals/2015/CO-EST2015-alldata.html. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- ^ "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/ia190090.txt. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- ^ "Population and Housing Occupancy Status: 2010 - State -- County". United States Census Bureau American FactFinder. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST05&prodType=table. Retrieved March 8, 2011.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ Buena Vista County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
- ^ "Buena Vista County Sheriff". Buena Vista County, Iowa. http://www.bvsheriff.com/. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- ^ "BV County Sheriff Reserve Officers Bring Home Honors". Storm Lake Pilot Tribune. April 29, 2013. http://www.stormlakepilottribune.com/story/print/1964207.html.
- ^ http://www.census.gov/2010census/
- Buena Vista County government's website
- Genealogy: Buena Vista County Iowa History & Heritage Project
|Cherokee County||Pocahontas County|
Buena Vista County, Iowa
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Buena Vista County, Iowa. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|