|Buffalo County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
487 sq mi (1,262 km²)
471 sq mi (1,219 km²)
17 sq mi (44 km²), 3.45%
4/sq mi (1.5/km²)
Buffalo County is a county located in the U.S. state of South Dakota. As of the 2010 census, the population is 1,912. It's county seat is Gann Valley, which is also the center of population of South Dakota, though Gann Valley is an unincorporated community. The county's per-capita income makes it the poorest county in the United States. The Crow Creek Indian Reservation inhabited by the Crow Creek Sioux Tribe makes up the majority of Buffalo County. Unemployment is 57%; many homes lack either kitchens or indoor plumbing.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 487 square miles (1,261.3 km2), of which 471 square miles (1,219.9 km2) is land and 17 square miles (44.0 km2) is water.
The county is divided into one township: Elvira; and three areas of unorganized territory: Crow Creek, North Buffalo, and Southeast Buffalo.
Adjacent Counties Edit
- Hand County - northeast
- Jerauld County - east
- Brule County - south
- Lyman County - west
- Hyde County - northwest
As of the census of 2000, there are 2,032 people, 526 households, and 422 families residing in the county. The population density is 4 people per square mile (2/km²). There are 602 housing units at an average density of 1 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the county is 81.59% Native American, 16.34% White, 0.10% Black or African American, 0.30% from other races, and 1.67% from two or more races. 0.89% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race. 8.9% were of German ancestry.
There are 526 households out of which 47.10% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 37.60% are married couples living together, 31.40% have a female householder with no husband present, and 19.80% are non-families. 16.00% of all households are made up of individuals and 5.90% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 3.83 and the average family size is 4.23.
In the county, the population is spread out with 41.30% under the age of 18, 11.00% from 18 to 24, 25.00% from 25 to 44, 16.10% from 45 to 64, and 6.50% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 23 years. For every 100 females there are 105.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 98 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $12,692, and the median income for a family was $14,167. Males had a median income of $18,650 versus $19,554 for females. The per capita income for the county was $5,213, the lowest in the nation. About 55.70% of families and 56.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 61.50% of those under age 18 and 50.40% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and townsEdit
- ^ United States Census Bureau. "2010 Census Data". United States Census Bureau. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Population and Population Centers by State - 2000". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/cenpop/statecenters.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-25.
- ^ 
- ^ Cara Hetland, Minnesota Public Radio
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions: South Dakota". Population Census. 2010 United States Census. 2011-07-18. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL1.ST13&prodType=table. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
|Hyde County||Hand County|
|Lyman County||Jerauld County|
Buffalo County, South Dakota
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Buffalo County, South Dakota. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|