Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Carlton County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Minnesota's location in the U.S.
|Founded||May 23, 1857 |
|Named for||Reuben B. Carlton, one of the first settlers in the area.|
875.23 sq mi (2,267 km²)
860.33 sq mi (2,228 km²)
14.90 sq mi (39 km²), 1.70%
37/sq mi (14/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Carlton County is a county located in the U.S. state of Minnesota. As of 2010, the population was 35,386. Its county seat is Carlton. A portion of the Fond du Lac Indian Reservation is in the county. Carlton County is included by the U.S. Census Bureau in the Duluth-Superior Metropolitan Statistical Area.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 875.23 square miles (2,266.8 km2), of which 860.33 square miles (2,228.2 km2) (or 98.30%) is land and 14.90 square miles (38.6 km2) (or 1.70%) is water.
- St. Louis County, Minnesota (north and northeast)
- Douglas County, Wisconsin (southeast)
- Pine County, Minnesota (south)
- Aitkin County, Minnesota (west)
As of the census of 2000, there were 31,671 people, 12,064 households, and 8,408 families residing in the county. The population density was 37 people per square mile (14/km²). There were 13,721 housing units at an average density of 16 per square mile (6/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 91.75% White, 0.97% Black or African American, 5.19% Native American, 0.35% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.21% from other races, and 1.52% from two or more races. 0.84% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 18.5% were of German, 16.9% Finnish, 12.5% Norwegian, 11.8% Swedish and 5.8% Polish ancestry according to Census 2000. 95.5% spoke English, 1.8% Finnish and 1.1% Spanish as their first language.
There were 12,064 households out of which 32.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.50% were married couples living together, 9.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.30% were non-families. 26.10% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.00% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.40% under the age of 18, 7.70% from 18 to 24, 28.40% from 25 to 44, 23.50% from 45 to 64, and 15.10% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 102.70 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $40,021, and the median income for a family was $48,406. Males had a median income of $38,788 versus $25,555 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,073. About 5.40% of families and 7.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.20% of those under age 18 and 9.30% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns Edit
- ^ "2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File". American FactFinder. United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST05&prodType=table. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/county2k.txt. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Carlton County official website
- Carltoncountyhelp.org: A guide to service organizations in Carlton County, MN
- Minnesota DOT map of Carlton County
|St. Louis County||St. Louis County|
Carlton County, Minnesota
|Pine County||Douglas County, Wisconsin|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Carlton County, Minnesota. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|