Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Birth:|| May 1835 or 1829|
Millstreet, County Cork, Ireland
|Death:|| January 1, 1914|
41 Hopkins Avenue
Jersey City, New Jersey
|Burial:|| Holy Name Cemetery|
Jersey City, New Jersey
|Father:||Jeremiah Creedon (c1810-?)|
|Mother:||Johanna Noonan (c1810-?)|
|Siblings:||Nora Creedon (1829-1904)|
|Spouse/Partner:||Daniel Finn (1818-1887)|
|Children:|| Mary Ann Finn (1860-1885)|
Nora M. Finn (1866-1898)
Catherine Elizabeth Finn (1864-1918)
Catherine Creedon (1835-1914) was an immigrant to the United States in 1873 or 1874. (b. May 1835, Millstreet, County Cork, Munster Province, Ireland - d. New Year's Day, January 01, 1914, 41 Hopkins Avenue, Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, USA)
Catherine was born in Millstreet, County Cork, Ireland in May of 1835. The year and month come from the 1900 United States Census. Millstreet comes from the funeral notice of her sister: "of Mills Street, Cork, Ireland". Her death certificate listed her as 80 years old in 1914, which would have her birth in 1834-1835. In the 1871 Wales census she was listed as 42 years old which would have her born in the year 1829. Generally the closest a document is to the event it is recording is the more accurate one. Civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths began in Ireland in 1864. Previous to that year events were recorded by the church and the may not be extant. Approximately half the Church of Ireland parish registers were held at the Public Record Office and they were destroyed in 1922 in a fire and explosion during the Battle of Dublin of the Irish Civil War.
Nora Creedon (1829-1904) who was born in Ireland.
She married Daniel Finn (1818-1887). Daniel's parents were Mary and Patrick Finn (c1790-?).
Ireland to Cardiff, WalesEdit
The family moved from Ireland to Cardiff, Wales.
Daniel and Catherine had five children with three of them living to adulthood:
- Mary Ann Finn (1860-1885) who was born in Ireland or Wales
- Nora M. Finn (1866-1898) who was born in Wales and married John Joseph Burke I (1868-1939)
- Catherine Elizabeth Finn (1864-1918) aka Kate Finn, who was born in Cardiff in Wales.
There were two more children that died at birth and they are probably buried in Wales or Ireland. The census said that they had had five children with three living.
Jersey City, New JerseyEdit
In 1880 Daniel and Catherine were living in Jersey City with their daughter, Nora, while Mary A. Finn appears to have been working as a servant or housekeeper for James B. Hance, a produce store owner. Catherine, Daniel's other daughter, was working as a servant at L.S. Williard in Jersey City. L.S. Willard was a dry goods salesman. Catherine Finn later became a private secretary at the American Lead Pencil Company in Hoboken and raised her sister's child after her sister died.
Death of husbandEdit
Daniel died in 1887 of "phthisis pulmonalis" while living at 276 1st Street in Jersey City.
Marriage of daughterEdit
Jersey City, New JerseyEdit
In 1900 she was living at 16 Ellicott Place in Jersey City with Catherine Elizabeth Finn (1864-1918) and Mary Margaret Burke (1890-1949) . Katherine's age was listed as "65" and her birth date as "May 1835". She listed her immigration year as "1874". She had had five children with just one living.
Catherine Creedon died on New Year's Day, January 1, 1914 at her home on 41 Hopkins Avenue where she lived with her daughter, Catherine Finn and her granddaughter Mary Margaret Burke. The cause of death was "pulmonary edema with epithelioma on face".
From the Jersey Journal, January 02, 1914:
Finn - On January 1, 1914, at her residence, 41 Hopkins Avenue, Jersey City, Catherine Finn (nee Creedon), beloved wife of the late Daniel Finn. Funeral Saturday, 9 a.m., requiem mass St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church.
Catherine was buried at Holy Name Cemetery, Jersey City, New Jersey with:
- Mary A. Finn (1860-1885), child of Daniel Finn and Catherine Creedon
- Daniel Finn (1818-1887), husband of Catherine Creedon
- Nora M. Finn (1866-1898), child of Daniel Finn and Catherine Creedon
- Nora Creedon (1829-1904), child of Daniel Finn and Catherine Creedon
- Catherine Creedon (1835-1914)
- Catherine Elizabeth Finn (1864-1918), child of Daniel Finn and Catherine Creedon
- John Burke Norton (1927), child of Thomas Patrick Norton and Mary Margaret Burke
- Catherine Finn Norton (1930-1934), child of Thomas Patrick Norton and Mary Margaret Burke
- Mary Margaret Burke (1890-1949), child of John Joseph Burke and Nora Finn
- Thomas Patrick Norton I (1891-1968), husband of Mary Margaret Burke
- Researched and written by Richard Arthur Norton (1958- ) for Findagrave starting on June 30, 2003. Updated on Valentine's Day, February 14, 2013 with the 1871 census of Wales.
- ^ Ireland Civil Registration, Familysearch, https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Ireland_Civil_Registration, retrieved 2013-04-07
- ^ Parish records and marriage licences, National Archives of Ireland, http://www.nationalarchives.ie/genealogy1/genealogy-records/parish-records-marriage-licences/, retrieved 2013-04-07, "For the period before 1864, church records provide the only record of most baptisms, marriages and burials."