|Father:||Nicholas Messerly (1793)|
|Mother:||Elizabeth Caley (bef1804)|
|Spouse/Partner:||Ester Maria Soving|
|Marriage:||12 Oct 1848|
Christian Messerly Blacksmith born in Switzerland and immigrated with his father Nicholas as a young boy. First Wife, Ester Maria Soving, was born 1830, Switzerland. Her brother Henry Soving (ca1828) is listed as working in the home of Nicholas G. Messerly (1819-1872) as of the 1850 census. She is referred to as "Mariah" in the 1850 Census, and has two children Martha J and Maria. Ester dies in 1851, and both of her daughters die as toddlers.
It is not known what became of Christian or Samuel after 1850.
|Portal | Category|
|Name||Birthdate||Birthplace||Death date||Death place|
|Children of Christian Messerly (1824-1886) and Ester Marie Soving|
|Martha J.||ca Mar 1850, Basil, OH||Ohio||3 Sep 1852|
|Mary Messerly||1851||Ohio||26 Nov 1857|
Source- 1850,1870 Census
Parentage investigation- Christian & Lucinda Messerly of IndianaEdit
(Only question concerns the Christian married to Lucinda- the Basil life is pretty solid)
- Arguement for
- There are two candidates for the immigrant to Indiana- Christian Messerly (1824) (Basil), a blacksmith and Christian Messerly (c1832) born Switzerland father Samuel Messerly (c1794)
- Indiana immigrant is listed as a blacksmith age 56 (birth 1824) in 1880 census. His age in the 1870 census is 45 (birth1825). Both list the occupation of blacksmith. Basil christian was listed as a blacksmith in 1850 census, as 24 (birth 1826).
- The 1900 census records place of father's birth, giving Germany.
- Tentative conclusion: Based on the 1900 Census, Christian Messerly (c1832) is the better choice, since he is the foreign birth father. There is some doubt though since Christian Messerly (1824) has the closer age and same occupation.
- In 1850 Census, listed under Messerley in Ohio > Fairfield > Basil, Christian age 24 is listed as head of household with occupation "Blacksmith". Samuel is also at the house. There is a "Martha Messerley" (illegible age) and a "Mariah Messerley" age 19 who is listed as from Switzerland. Due to the presence of daughter Martha, this is most likely Ester Maria Messerly documented on Corax. Possibly this is the girl who was 10-15 in the 1840 census for the Nicholas household.
- ^ Soving could be Sauvain (many listings Berne), or Sovine (few listings in SW, many listings this way in USA).