Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Clinton County, Missouri|
Location in the state of Missouri
Missouri's location in the U.S.
|Founded||January 2, 1833|
|Named for||DeWitt Clinton|
423.47 sq mi (1,097 km²)
418.76 sq mi (1,085 km²)
4.71 sq mi (12 km²), 1.11%
47/sq mi (18/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Clinton County is a county located in Northwest Missouri in the United States. As of the 2010 census, the county had a population of 20,743. Its county seat is Plattsburg. The county was organized January 2, 1833 and named for Governor DeWitt Clinton of New York. The county seat of Plattsburg derives it name from a town of a similar name that is the county seat of Clinton County, New York, which was also named for the Governor.
According to the 2000 U.S. Census, the county has a total area of 423.47 square miles (1,096.8 km2), of which 418.76 square miles (1,084.6 km2) (or 98.89%) is land and 4.71 square miles (12.2 km2) (or 1.11%) is water.
- DeKalb County (north)
- Caldwell County (east)
- Ray County (southeast)
- Clay County (south)
- Platte County (southwest)
- Buchanan County (west)
As of the census of 2000, there were 18,979 people, 7,152 households, and 5,299 families residing in the county. The population density was 45 people per square mile (18/km²). There were 7,877 housing units at an average density of 19 per square mile (7/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 96.58% White, 1.52% Black or African American, 0.34% Native American, 0.17% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.27% from other races, and 1.12% from two or more races. Approximately 1.08% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 7,152 households out of which 34.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.40% were married couples living together, 8.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.90% were non-families. 22.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.50% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.80% under the age of 18, 7.40% from 18 to 24, 28.20% from 25 to 44, 23.50% from 45 to 64, and 14.10% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 96.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.60 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $41,629, and the median income for a family was $48,244. Males had a median income of $36,307 versus $22,991 for females. The per capita income for the county was $19,056. About 7.30% of families and 9.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.30% of those under age 18 and 12.70% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and townsEdit
- † Only partially in Clinton County, a part of each town extends into DeKalb County.
- †† Only partially in Clinton County, a part of this town extends into Clay County.
- Cameron R-I School District – Cameron
- Parkview Elementary School (PK-04)
- Cameron Middle School (05-08)
- Cameron High School (09-12)
- Clinton County R-III School District – Plattsburg
- Ellis Elementary School (PK-04)
- Clinton County Middle School (05-08)
- Plattsburg High School (09-12)
- East Buchanan County C-1 School District – Gower
- East Buchanan County Elementary School (PK-05)
- East Buchanan County Middle School (06-08)
- East Buchanan County High School (09-12)
- Lathrop R-II School District – Lathrop
- Lathrop Elementary School (K-05)
- Lathrop Middle School (06-08)
- Lathrop High School (09-12)
The Democratic Party predominantly controls politics at the local level in Clinton County. Democrats hold all but three of the elected positions in the county.
|Clinton County, Missouri|
|Elected countywide officials|
|Circuit Clerk||Molly Livingston||Democratic|
|County Clerk||Mary Blanton||Democratic|
|Wade Wilken, Jr.||Republican|
|Coroner||Kathleen M. Little||Republican|
|Prosecuting Attorney||Joe Gagnon||Democratic|
|Public Administrator||Nancy D. Wingate||Democratic|
|Sheriff||K. Porter Hensen||Democratic|
|2008||40.51% 4,199||57.00% 5,909||2.49% 258|
|2004||49.06% 4,663||49.51% 4,705||1.43% 136|
|2000||46.71% 3,943||51.10% 4,313||2.19% 185|
|1996||29.96% 2,142||67.87% 4,852||2.17% 155|
Clinton County is divided into two legislative districts in the Missouri House of Representatives, both of which are held by Republicans.
- District 5 – Glen Klippenstein (R-Maysville). Consists of most of the entire county and includes the communities of Cameron, Gower, Holt, Lathrop, Osborne, Plattsburg, Trimble, and Turney.
|Missouri House of Representatives - District 5 – Clinton County (2010)|
|Missouri House of Representatives - District 7 – Clinton County (2010)|
|Democratic||Dale R. Toms||119||45.95|
|Missouri Senate - District 12 – Clinton County (2010)|
|U.S. House of Representatives – Missouri’s 6th Congressional District – Clinton County (2010)|
|2008||54.61% 5,709||43.48% 4,545||1.91% 200|
|2004||55.42% 5,287||43.66% 4,165||0.92% 88|
|2000||50.67% 4,323||46.82% 3,994||2.51% 214|
|1996||38.80% 2,780||48.08% 3,445||13.11% 940|
Missouri Presidential Preference Primary (2008)Edit
- Former U.S. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-New York) received more votes, a total of 1,490, than any candidate from either party in Clinton County during the 2008 presidential primary.
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/29/29049.html. Retrieved September 7, 2013.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ Eaton, David Wolfe (1916). How Missouri Counties, Towns and Streams Were Named. The State Historical Society of Missouri. pp. 277. http://books.google.com/books?id=RfAuAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA277#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- ^ Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off.. pp. 85. http://books.google.com/books?id=9V1IAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA85#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- ^ "Census 2010 Gazetteer Files". http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/docs/gazetteer/counties_list_29.txt. Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved September 7, 2013.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Digitized 1930 Plat Book of Clinton County from University of Missouri Division of Special Collections, Archives, and Rare Books
|Buchanan County||Caldwell County|
Clinton County, Missouri
|Platte County||Clay County||Ray County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Clinton County, Missouri. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|