Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|— District —|
|Talukas||Cuddalore, Panruti, Chidambaram, Neyveli, Virudhachalam|
|• Collector & District Magistrate||Mr.Rajendra Ratnoo IAS|
|• Density||702/km2 (1,820/sq mi)|
|• Official||Tamil, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 04142|
|ISO 3166 code||[[ISO 3166-2:IN|]]|
|Vehicle registration||TN 31 |
|Nearest city||Pondicherry, Chennai|
|Sex ratio||984 ♂/♀|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Cuddalore|
|Avg. summer temperature||41 °C (106 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||20 °C (68 °F)|
Cuddalore District (Tamil: கடலூர் மாவட்டம்) is a district of Tamil Nadu state in southern India. The city of Cuddalore is the district headquarters. For the first time, urn burial grave goods were found in the village of Marungur in the district, carrying inscriptions in Tamil Brahmi from the 1st century BCE.
The district has an area of 3,564 km². It is bounded on the north by Viluppuram District, on the east by the Bay of Bengal, on the south by Nagapattinam District, and on the west by Perambalur District.
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Cuddalore one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the six districts in Tamil Nadu currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
According to the 2011 census Cuddalore district has a population of 2,600,880, roughly equal to the nation of Kuwait or the US state of Nevada. This gives it a ranking of 158th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 702 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,820 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 13.8 %. Cuddalore has a sex ratio of 984 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 79.04 %.
The district has a population of 22,85,395 as per the Census of 2001. It is 33.01% urbanised. The district has a literacy of 71.85%. This is lesser than the state's average.
Cuddalore district consists of the following urban cities:
Cuddalore is well known for its temples. The most famous of these is the temple of Shiva, one of the three principal deities of Hinduism. The incarnation of Shiva at Cuddalore is called Padaleeshwarar. The temple itself is located in Thiruppadirippuliyur. Chidambaram, a town, known for dance and temples, is only 43 km away from Cuddalore. Cuddalore has famous Vaishnavite temples in and around the town. Thiruvanthipuram temple, the Sacred Abode of Lord Devanatha, is one of the ancient Vaishnavite temples and also one of the 108 Vaishnavite shrines sanctified by the visit of the great Alwars and Acharyas, held in great reverence by the devotees. This place is one of the two Nadunattu Tirupathis. It is situated 7 km west of Tirupapuliyur (Cuddalore New Town) Railway Station. Srimushnam is located 31 km from Chidambaram (Cuddalore). Srimushnam is the famous Vaishnava temple of Bhuvaraha. This is one of the eight Vaishava shrines. The image in the temple is self created (Swayam Vyakta) representing the Varaha Avataar (an incarnation of the Hindu God MahaVishnu). The original image in marble is said to have been taken away by Krishna Deva Wodeyar of Mysore and installed at Srirangapatna.The another enchanting sculptural temple of King Kulothunga chola I is located in Melakadambur(the place where ponniyin selvan story happened) 6 km south of Kattumannarkoil
Thevara Padal Petra KovilEdit
Chozha Naadu [North of River Kaveri]Edit
- Natarajar Temple at Chidambaram (1st Kovil)
- Pasupateswarar Temple at Thiruvetkalam (2nd Kovil)
- Uchinathar Temple at Thirunelvayil (3rd Kovil)
- Paalvanna Naathar Temple at Thirukkazhippalai (4th Kovil)
- Patanjali Nathar Temple at Omampuliyur (31st Kovil)
- Tuyartheerthanathar Temple at Thirukkaanaattumulloor (32nd Kovil)
- Soundareswarar Temple at Thirunaarayur (33rd Kovil)
- Amirthakadeswarar temple at Melakadambur(34th Devara shrine)
- Natarajar Temple at Chidambaram
- Anantheeswarar temple at kattumannarkoil.
- Veeranarayana perumal temple at kattumannarkoil.
- Akni veeranar temple at reddiur.
- Mariamman temple at Kattumannarkoil
- Theerthapureeswarar Temple at Thiruvattaturai (1st Kovil)
- Sudarkozhuntheesar Temple at Pennaagadam (2nd Kovil)
- Nerikkattunayakar Temple at Goodalaiyatrur (3rd Kovil)
- Swetargavaneswarar Temple at Erukkattampuliyur (4th Kovil)
- Sivakkozhuntheeswarar Temple at Tiruttinai Nagar (5th Kovil)
- Mangalapureeswarar Temple at Tiruchopuram (6th Kovil)
- Veerateswarar Temple at Thiruvathikai (7th Kovil)
- Vridhagireeswarar Temple Vridhachalam (9th Kovil)
- Pasupateeswarar Temple at Thirutturaiyur (15th Kovil)
- Vaamaneswarar Temple at Thirumaanikkuzhi (17th Kovil)
- Paataleeswarar Temple at Thiruppaatirippuliyur (18th Kovil)
- Devanathaswamy Temple at Thiruvandipuram, Cuddalore
Other Tourist SpotsEdit
- Silver Beach at Devanampatinam (Cuddalore)
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation (NLC) at Neyveli
- Pichavaram, one of the world's largest mangrove forests
- Thirumutam Boovaraga Suwami Temple Thirumutam
- Vadalur Vallalar Kovil
- Kurinjipadi Subraya's shrine
- Vijayanagara architecture at Vengadampet
- Viruthagireeswarar temple at Vriddhachalam
- vengadesaperumal temple at sonangkuppam cudd old
- ^ "2011 Census of India" (Excel). Indian government. 16 April 2011. http://www.censusindia.gov.in/2011-prov-results/prov_data_products_tamilnadu.html.
- ^ www.tn.gov.in
- ^ a b Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme". National Institute of Rural Development. http://www.nird.org.in/brgf/doc/brgf_BackgroundNote.pdf. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- ^ a b c d e f "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. http://www.census2011.co.in/district.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- ^ US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2119rank.html. Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Kuwait 2,595,62"
- ^ "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/apportionment-pop-text.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "Nevada 2,700,551"
- ^ 
|Salem District||Viluppuram district||Pondicherry district, Pondicherry|
|Perambalur district||Bay of Bengal|
|Ariyalur district||Thanjavur district||Nagapattinam district|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Cuddalore district. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|