This text is collapsible.
Capt of company of Minute men who marched 19 Apr 1775, but arrived after skirmish was over Marlborough 1775 Minuteman Roster. Commissioned Captain 25 May 1775, served in 15th regiment.
He was captain of Ward's Massachusetts regiment, 1775, and of the Continental infantry, 1776, and was retired, 1779. He was born in Marlboro, Mass., died in Chelsea, Vt.
|Offspring of Daniel Barnes and Martha Brigham (1739-1769)|
|John Barnes (1763-1834)||6 November 1763 Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts||12 September 1834 Chelsea, Orange County, Vermont|| Sarah Howe (1766-1844)|
|Martha Barnes (1766-1839)|
- Marlborough Veterans - Daughter of the American Revolution - register of soldiers for Marlborough MA.
- Marlborough, Middlesex, Massachusetts, United States. Vital Records of Marlborough, Massachusetts, to the End of the Year 1849. (Worcester, Massachusetts: Franklin P. Rice, 1908), 20.
Barns, Daniel, s. Daniel and Zeruiah, July 19, 1736.
- Worcester Society of Antiquity (Massachusetts). Proceedings of the Worcester Society of Antiquity. (Salt Lake City, Utah: Photocopied by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1985-1986), Vol. 25, p. 198. Capt of company of Minute men who marched 19 Apr 1775, but arrived after skirmish was over. Commissioned Captain 25 May 1775, served in 15th regiment.
- Hudson, Charles. History of the town of Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts: from its first settlement in 1657 to 1861 : with a brief sketch of the town of Northborough, a genealogy of the families in Marlborough to 1800, and an account of the celebration of the two hundredth anniversary of the incorporation of the town. (Boston: Press of T.R. Marvin & Son, 1862), pp. 316-7. Daniel Barnes, s/o Daniel Barnes and Zeruiah Eager, b. 19 Jul 1736, m. 20 Jan 1763 Martha Brigham.
- Edmund Rice (1638) Association, Daniel Barnes. Daniel Barnes, s/o Daniel Barnes and Zeruaih Eager, b. Marlborough 19 Jul 1736, d. Chelsea (VT) 21 Oct 1813, m. (1) Marlborough 20 Jan 1763 Martha Brigham, m. (2) Marlborough 14 Nov 1769 Sarah Stratton.
- Various sources discussing Daniel from the point of view of the Brigham family (Brigham Family, p. 111; Bigelow Genealogy, p. 37) mention Daniel Barnes and his first wife Martha, who died when Daniel would have been in his early 30's, without any mention of a second wife. Even Worcester Proceedings cited above, which mention his activity in the Revolutionary War in the decade following Martha's death, only mentions his first wife Martha with no hint of a second wife. Sources looking at Daniel Barnes from the Stratton point of view (Book of Strattons, p. 178) mention the second marriage with no hint of an earlier marriage. Inspection of Marborough VRs show that 6 months after Martha's death, a Daniel Barnes married a Sarah "Straten", and there does not appear to be any other Daniel Barnes that this could be.