|Dixie County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Florida's location in the U.S.
|Founded||25 April 1921|
864 sq mi (2,238 km²)
160 sq mi (414 km²), 18.49%
21/sq mi (8/km²)
As of the census2 of 2000, there were 13,827 people, 5,205 households, and 3,659 families residing in the county. The population density was 8/km² (20/sq mi). There were 7,362 housing units at an average density of 4/km² (10/sq mi). The racial makeup of the county was 88.80% White, 8.98% Black or African American, 0.46% Native American, 0.25% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.45% from other races, and 1.03% from two or more races. 1.80% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 5,205 households out of which 27.40% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.90% were married couples living together, 10.60% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.70% were non-families. 23.90% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.60% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 2.87.
In the county the population was spread out with 22.10% under the age of 18, 7.90% from 18 to 24, 26.60% from 25 to 44, 26.20% from 45 to 64, and 17.10% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 113.90 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 117.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $26,082, and the median income for a family was $31,157. Males had a median income of $26,694 versus $17,863 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,559. About 14.50% of families and 19.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.90% of those under age 18 and 16.10% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns Edit
- Clara (shared with Taylor County)
- Shired Island
- Yellow Jacket
Points of interestEdit
- City Of Hawkinsville - sunken steamboat in the Suwannee River near Old Town, one of the Florida Underwater Archaeological Preserves
- Dixie County Board of County Commissioners
- Dixie County Supervisor of Elections
- Dixie County Property Appraiser
- Dixie County Sheriff's Office
- Dixie County Tax Collector
Special districts Edit
- Dixie County Clerk of Courts
- Public Defender, 3rd Judicial Circuit of Florida serving Columbia, Dixie, Hamilton, Lafayette, Madison, Suwannee, and Taylor Counties
- Office of the State Attorney, 3rd Judicial Circuit of Florida
- Circuit and County Court for the 3rd Judicial Circuit of Florida
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Dixie County, Florida. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|