|Douglas County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Minnesota's location in the U.S.
|Founded||March 8, 1858 |
|Named for||Stephen Douglas|
719.94 sq mi (1,865 km²)
634.32 sq mi (1,643 km²)
85.62 sq mi (222 km²), 11.89%
52/sq mi (20/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 719.94 square miles (1,864.6 km2), of which 634.32 square miles (1,642.9 km2) (or 88.11%) is land and 85.62 square miles (221.8 km2) (or 11.89%) is water, comprising over 250 lakes.
- Otter Tail County (north)
- Todd County (east)
- Stearns County (southeast)
- Pope County (south)
- Stevens County (southwest)
- Grant County (west)
Alexandria Municipal Airport, also known as Chandler Field, is a city-owned public-use airport located two nautical miles (3.7 km) southwest of the central business district of Alexandria, a city in Douglas County.
As of the census of 2000, there were 32,821 people, 13,276 households, and 9,027 families residing in the county. The population density was 52 people per square mile (20/km²). There were 16,694 housing units at an average density of 26 per square mile (10/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 98.49% White, 0.18% Black or African American, 0.24% Native American, 0.40% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.18% from other races, and 0.48% from two or more races. 0.59% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 38.5% were of German, 24.6% Norwegian and 8.1% Swedish ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 13,276 households out of which 29.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.00% were married couples living together, 6.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.00% were non-families. 26.50% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.00% under the age of 18, 9.20% from 18 to 24, 25.00% from 25 to 44, 23.80% from 45 to 64, and 17.90% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 99.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.90 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $37,703, and the median income for a family was $46,250. Males had a median income of $30,968 versus $21,240 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,850. About 5.60% of families and 8.50% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.30% of those under age 18 and 11.00% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns Edit
† Most of Osakis is in Douglas County, but a part of the city extends into Todd County.
- ^ "2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File". American FactFinder. United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST05&prodType=table. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/county2k.txt. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- ^ "Minnesota's Biomes" (PDF). Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. 2008. http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/education/forestry/biomes/biomes_posterback_sm.pdf. Retrieved 2010-02-27.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Otter Tail County|
|Grant County||Todd County|
Douglas County, Minnesota
|Stevens County||Pope County||Stearns County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Douglas County, Minnesota. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|