Born Eliza Edmonia Berry, she effectively changed her name to Edmonia Eliza by simply using that form. She was a younger child of Uriah G. Berry and Amanda Jane Richmond. I know little of her upbringing, but it occurred along the Ohio River in southwestern Kentucky. There may have been ventures across the Ohio to Golconda, IL, on the local ferry once operated by her grandfather, John Berry (-1840). It is on this ferry that her parents likely first made each other's acquaintance.
She married Charlie Parker of Memphis in 1880 and had four children. She saw her elder daughter married into the prominent Henley family of Birmingham, AL, but died in Birmingham in 1911. According to memory of the event conveyed by from my great-grandmother to my grandfather to me, she went to the bathroom, stood up and dropped dead, probably of a heart attack. She was returned to Memphis for burial.
|Offspring of Edmonia Eliza Berry and Arthur Charles Parker (1850-1918)|
|Frank Sim Parker (1881-1882)|| |
|Arthur Charles Parker, Jr. (1885-)|| |
|Lamira Minter Parker (1887-)|| |
|Julia Edmonia Parker (1889-1969)|
|Children of Arthur Charles Parker and Edmonia Eliza Berry
|Frank Sim Parker||May 6, 1881|
|October 23, 1882|
|Arthur Charles Parker, Jr.||July 16, 1885|
|Lamira Minter Parker||February 18, 1887|
|Julia Edmonia Parker||November 11, 1889|
Memphis, Shelby County, Tennessee
|April 25, 1969|
Birmingham, Jefferson County, Alabama
|Offspring of Uriah Berry and Amanda Jane Richmond (c1822-1877)|
|Mary A. Berry (1841-)|| |
|George Berry (1842-1852)|| |
|Juliann Berry (1843-)|| |
|Maria P. Berry (1846-)|| |
|Sarah J. Berry (1848-)|| |
|Frances S. Berry (1850-)|| |
|Uriah G. Berry, Jr. (1852-)|| |
|Edmonia Eliza Berry (1854-1911)||10 January 1854 Berry's Ferry, Livingston County, Kentucky, United States||10 October 1911 Birmingham, Jefferson County, Alabama, United States|| Arthur Charles Parker (1850-1918)|
|Ora L. Berry (1858-)|
- Dupuy, B. H. The Huguenot Bartholomew Dupuy and His Descendants. Louisville: Courier-Journal Job Print. Co., 1908.
- Frazier, Jorja. Elmwood Cemetery Records emailed to me in October 2007.
- Henley, John Charles, III, compiler. "Parker Family Research Document". Privately distributed c. 1990.
- Wittichen, Carl Ferdinand. Jr. Memories as told to him.
- Wittichen, Ivy Vickery. Memories as told to her.
- Wittichen, Julia Parker. Genealogy notes.
- [need to look up source info]. Livingston Co., KY, Birth Records