Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Edward Clarke (1892 - 1960)Edit
- Eddie Clarke
at Calton, Glasgow (76 Abercrombie Street)
- Interment: month d, 1960 at St Peter’s Cemetery, Dalbeth, Glasgow
- Height: 5ft 8in
- Weight: 13 stone
- Hair color: grey
- Eye color:
Edward Clarke was the son of Michael Andrew Clarke (1862-1940), Brickfield Labourer, and Elizabeth Manning (1871 - 1935), Carpet Weaver, who were married at St Mary’ Chapel, Calton December 31, 1889, after banns according to the forms of the Roman Catholic Church.
His grandparents were
- Edward Clarke (1840? - ??), Farmer in County Mayo, Ireland and Margaret Kennedy (1840?- ??), also of County Mayo
- Thomas Manning (1842 - ??), Iron Dresser, born in Ireland and Elizabeth Crossan (1845 - ??), Domestic Servant, born in Glasgow, who were married St Mary's Chapel, Calton on April 26, 1865
His great-grandparents were
- John Manning (1820? - ??) of Ireland and Ann Rogers (1822? - ??) also of Ireland
- Charles Crossan (1810? - ??), Coal Agent, of Ireland or/and later Glasgow and Elizabeth McCrossan 91810? - ??) born Calton, Glasgow, who were married about 1834, possibly in St Andrew’s Church, now cathedral,Glasgow
- Unknown Clarkes in County Mayo
- Unknown Kennedys in County Mayo
Hir great-great-grandparents were
- Elizabeth Clarke (1891 - ??)
- Thomas Clarke (1895 - ??)
- Margaret Clarke (1897 - ??)
- John Clarke (1899-??)
- 1. Abigail Mullin (?? - ??), whom he married in in St Mary's Church, Calton, Glasgow in 1915. She died of cancer in ??
- 2. Jeanie Ferguson Linton (1910 - 1987), widow of Thomas Totten (1908? - 1938), whom he married in the Registry Office in Shettleson, Glasgow on July 2, 1943
- Thomas Clarke
- Andrew Clarke
- John Clarke
- Nancy Clarke
- Mary Clarke
- Margaret Clarke
- Elizabeth Clarke
By another liaison
- unknown daughter
- Frances McGuire Clarke (1945 - ), moved to London in 1966?. Accounts Office worker married to Clinton Hibbert
- Dennis McGuire Clarke (1947 - ), married to Jeanette, Materials Manager, living in Ayr
- Edward Anthony Clarke (1949 - ), Retired manager, living near Glasgow
- William Linton Clarke (1950 - ) - emigrated to Melbourne Australia 1971 after marrying Susan Cook.
Edward Clarke was born in Glasgow into a family of Irish descent - his father a recent immigrant, his mother’s family having been resident in the Calton area of Glasgow since the early 19th Century. He was baptised in St Mary’s Chapel where he was later married (as his father, Michael, had been) and he was educated at the adjacent St Mary’s School, then under the direct control of the Roman Catholic Church. The nature of his occupation(s) is unknown, but he was highly political from an early age, and much of his energy was devoted to this. He was a conscientious objector during the First World War and he was forced to work on repairing roads instead. He briefly emigrated to Canada - during the 1920s or 1930s - but did not find it congenial and soon returned to Scotland. He was an active member of the Independent Labour Party and of the local Tenants Association. He spent a great deal of his time pleading the cases of indebted Tenants in the Small Debt Court in Glasgow where he met his second wife Jeanie Ferguson Linton. His first wife, Abigail, had died of cancer in 1940. He had an extra-marital affair about this time, producing a further daughter. He was interested in Music Hall and amateur dramatics and loved to declaim comic monologues.
- Registrar General for Scotland
- family tradition