I am building a scanner for enhancing the information we have. You guys have been looking at a lot more data than I have, so I need your help. I need to identify all the abbreviations we have have in the time and place fields in info pages.
- For circa, before, and after:
- c, circa, before, bef, aft after
- For county:
- co., ?
- Have you seen any other abbreviations in place or date fields?
Thanks for any and all responses. -~ Phlox 05:53, 15 May 2009 (UTC)
- c. ca ca. bef. aft. - all with or without spaces; cty cty. Cty Cty. Co Co. co - all with or without following comma. Actually, I'm guessing a bit. But if we haven't had all of those we will eventually unless our disciplinary measures are effective. On the other hand, some of us may standardize those if we are working on the page. I guess your scanning is meant to pick up and standardize. Then there's Twp and its relatives, rarer but likely to have the same variants as Cty. — Robin Patterson (Talk) 12:34, 15 May 2009 (UTC)
- Great. At this point I was curious about what folks have seen already encoded in our wiki either in info fields or in person infoboxes. Certainly, when we get into volume gedcom runs we will have a lot more variations to scan for, but for that stuff we may borrow some of the code already written to tease these values out. -~ Phlox 16:59, 15 May 2009 (UTC)