After thinking about a recent article by Phlox formerly Knifemaker, suggesting that we could download sound files as well as images, I did some checking. The short answer is No, and Yes. Currently, we probably do not have the right settings to allow this (I suspect but I don't know). However, the settings can be changed, but that has to be done by Wikia staff, not site Bureaucrats.
Adding WAV and other sound file capabilities could be quite useful for this wiki. Hey, it would be nice to have something appropriate playing in the background when you opened up an article about say Robert Burns---a little bagpipe music perhaps? Copyright problems could be very limiting. Also, I can imagine having oral histories placed here. Not too mention a few sound effects her and there.
And Video clips? Bet lots of people have some family history video's they'd like to share.
This may be something we'd like to explore, but we'd want to know preciselly what we want in terms of file capabilities to add. Any thoughts? Bill 15:44, 11 September 2007 (UTC)
- Here is the list of currently allowed file types:png, gif, jpg, jpeg, ico, ogg, pdf, xcf, svg
- While I thank you for the list, all of the above are for graphic images, Don't know that I'd call pdf exactly a graphic image, but none of these are audio at anyrate. Bill 21:02, 11 September 2007 (UTC)
- No video there, just audio. There are huge bandwidth issues with video hosting. Maybe a premium service if Wikia wants to think about that. Or videos can be limitted to postage stamp size- YouTube wikia etc. There are business models that support it, but I don't expect you'd get an answer for months and months regarding video.
- Its a long term kind of thing. Don't see anyone jumping up and down and salivating over the idea of posting video's here. But I bet it would be an attractive feature. Subject to some vandalism problems though. Bill 21:02, 11 September 2007 (UTC)
- Re- Audio. We have it now. eg. Native pronunciation of family names spoken by the country of origin.
- I don't see what the big deal is about not using mp3 since wikia is commercial. Advantage is that we can play .mp3 pronunciations without use of the german java thing that the above template uses. It can be difficult for some folks to listen to .oggs- not a lot of players support them. I use VLC and that does both audio and open source video, so that will simplify setup for most people if we suggest that. I seem to recall permitted file types in the bureaucrat administration tab, but my memory is hazy on what was in the configuration files and what wasn't. Seems like a config file thing to me. ~ Phlox 17:20, 11 September 2007 (UTC)