|Fremont County, Iowa|
Fremont County Courthouse
Location in the state of Iowa
Iowa's location in the U.S.
|Named for||John C. Fremont|
517 sq mi (1,339 km²)
511 sq mi (1,323 km²)
5.5 sq mi (14 km²), 1.1%
15/sq mi (6/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Fremont County is a county located in the U.S. state of Iowa. As of the 2010 census, the population was 7,441. The county seat is Sidney. The county was formed in 1847 and named for the military officer John C. Fremont.
- Mills County (north)
- Page County (east)
- Atchison County, Missouri (south)
- Otoe County, Nebraska (southwest)
- Cass County, Nebraska (northwest)
|U.S. Decennial Census|
The 2010 census recorded a population of 7,441 in the county, with a population density of 14.5599/sq mi (5.6216/km2). There were 3,431 housing units, of which 3,064 were occupied.
As of the census of 2000, there were 8,010 people, 3,199 households, and 2,242 families residing in the county. The population density was 16 people per square mile (6/km²). There were 3,514 housing units at an average density of 7 per square mile (3/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 98.01% White, 0.04% Black or African American, 0.24% Native American, 0.24% Asian, 0.96% from other races, and 0.51% from two or more races. 2.17% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 3,199 households out of which 30.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.90% were married couples living together, 8.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.90% were non-families. 26.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.10% under the age of 18, 6.00% from 18 to 24, 24.30% from 25 to 44, 24.70% from 45 to 64, and 19.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 95.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $38,345, and the median income for a family was $46,547. Males had a median income of $30,822 versus $23,003 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,081. About 6.50% of families and 9.50% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.40% of those under age 18 and 10.70% of those age 65 or over.
Fremont County is divided into thirteen townships:
† county seat
|Rank||City/Town/etc.||Municipal type||Population (2010 Census)
|1||Shenandoah (partially in Page County)||City||5,150|
|4||Tabor (partially in Mills County)||City||1,040|
- Fremont County Courthouse (Iowa)
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Fremont County, Iowa
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/19/19071.html. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off.. pp. 132. https://books.google.com/books?id=9V1IAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA132#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "County Totals Dataset: Population, Population Change and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". http://www.census.gov/popest/data/counties/totals/2015/CO-EST2015-alldata.html. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- ^ "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/ia190090.txt. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- ^ "Population & Housing Occupancy Status 2010". United States Census Bureau American FactFinder. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST05&prodType=table. Retrieved May 11, 2011.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ http://www.census.gov/2010census/
- Fremont County website
- Fremont County Economic Development website
- Fremont County Chamber of Commerce website
|Cass County, Nebraska||Mills County|
Fremont County, Iowa
|Otoe County, Nebraska||Atchison County, Missouri|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Fremont County, Iowa. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|