|Fulton County, Arkansas|
Error creating thumbnail: Invalid thumbnail parameters
Fulton County Courthouse in Salem
Location in the state of Arkansas
Arkansas's location in the U.S.
|Founded||December 21, 1842|
|Named for||William Fulton|
620 sq mi (1,606 km²)
618 sq mi (1,601 km²)
2.1 sq mi (5 km²), 0.3%
20/sq mi (8/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Fulton County is a county located in the U.S. state of Arkansas. As of the 2010 census, the population was 12,245. The county seat is Salem. Fulton County was formed on December 21, 1842, and named for William Fulton, the last governor of the Arkansas Territory. It is an alcohol prohibition or dry county.
- Ozark County, Missouri (northwest)
- Howell County, Missouri (north)
- Oregon County, Missouri (northeast)
- Sharp County (east)
- Izard County (south)
- Baxter County (west)
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the 2000 United States Census, there were 11,642 people, 4,810 households, and 3,511 families residing in the county. The population density was 19 people per square mile (7/km²). There were 5,973 housing units at an average density of 10 per square mile (4/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 97.67% White, 0.20% Black or African American, 0.67% Native American, 0.21% Asian, 0.06% from other races, and 1.19% from two or more races. 0.53% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 4,810 households out of which 27.40% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.40% were married couples living together, 7.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.00% were non-families. 24.40% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 2.83.
In the county the population was spread out with 22.80% under the age of 18, 6.40% from 18 to 24, 23.70% from 25 to 44, 27.00% from 45 to 64, and 20.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 96.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.10 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $25,529, and the median income for a family was $29,952. Males had a median income of $22,213 versus $18,066 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,712. About 12.70% of families and 16.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.10% of those under age 18 and 12.70% of those age 65 or over.
Fulton County is the home to several public school districts:
- Mammoth Spring School District, including Mammoth Spring High School.
- Salem School District, including Salem High School.
- Viola School District, including Viola High School.
Townships in Arkansas are the divisions of a county. Each township includes unincorporated areas and some may have incorporated towns or cities within part of their space. Townships have limited purposes in modern times. However, the US Census does list Arkansas population based on townships (often referred to as "minor civil divisions"). Townships are also of value for historical purposes in terms of genealogical research. Each town or city is within one or more townships in an Arkansas county based on census maps. The townships of Fulton County are listed below with the town(s) and/or city that are fully or partially inside them listed in parentheses.
|Township||FIPS code|| ANSI code|
| Total area|
| Total area|
| Land area|
| Land area|
| Water area|
| Water area|
|Afton||05-90006||00066571||part of Hardy||650||17.45||6.74||37.587||97.35||37.252||96.48||0.335||0.8676|
|Mammoth Spring||05-92361||00066577||Mammoth Spring||2,035||40.35||15.58||50.584||131.0||50.430||130.6||0.154||0.3989|
|Pleasant Ridge||05-92922||00066580||half of Cherokee Village, small part of Ash Flat||1,926||35.42||13.68||54.721||141.7||54.381||140.8||0.340||0.8806|
|Strawberry||05-93498||00066582||small part of Horseshoe Bend||742||24.28||9.38||30.591||79.23||30.558||79.14||0.033||0.08547|
|Source: "Census 2010 U.S. Gazetteer Files: County Subdivisions in Arkansas". U.S. Census Bureau, Geography Division. http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/docs/gazetteer/county_sub_list_05.txt.
Source: "Census 2010 U.S. Gazetteer Files". U.S. Census Bureau, Geography Division. http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/gazetteer2010.html.
- List of lakes in Fulton County, Arkansas
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Fulton County, Arkansas
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/05/05001.html. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off.. pp. 133. https://books.google.com/books?id=9V1IAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA133#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- ^ "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. http://www2.census.gov/geo/docs/maps-data/data/gazetteer/counties_list_05.txt. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- ^ "County Totals Dataset: Population, Population Change and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". http://www.census.gov/popest/data/counties/totals/2015/CO-EST2015-alldata.html. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- ^ Forstall, Richard L., ed (March 27, 1995). "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/ar190090.txt. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. April 2, 2001. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- ^ Based on 2000 census data
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- ^ U. S. Census Bureau. 2011 Boundary and Annexation Survey (BAS): Fulton County, AR (Map). http://www2.census.gov/geo/pvs/bas/bas11/st05_ar/cou/c05049_fulton/BAS11C20504900000_000.pdf. Retrieved 2011-08-05.
- ^ "Arkansas: 2010 Census Block Maps - County Subdivision". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/maps/block/2010/cousub/dc10blk_st05_cousub.html#F. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
|Ozark County, Missouri||Howell County, Missouri||Oregon County, Missouri|
|Baxter County||Sharp County|
Fulton County, Arkansas
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Fulton County, Arkansas. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|