Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Garhwa district (Hindi: गढवा जिला) is one of the twenty-four districts of Jharkhand state, India, and Garhwa town is the administrative headquarters of this district. This district is a part of Palamu division.
On 1 April 1991, this district was carved out from erstwhile Palamu district by separating erstwhile Garhwa sub-division of it.
The district lies between 23° 60’ and 24° 39’ north latitude and 83° 22’ and 84° 00’ east longitude, and is bordered by river Sone on the north, Palamau district of Jharkhand state on the east, Surguja district of Chhattisgarh state on the south, and Sonebhadra district of Uttar Pradesh on the west.
In 2006 the Indian government named Garhwa one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the 21 districts in Jharkhand currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
Garhwa district comprises two subdivisions, Garhwa and Nagar-Untari, which are further divided into 14 blocks. At the time of creation, this district comprised only eight blocks: Bhandaria, Bhawanathpur, Dhuraki, Garhwa, Majhiyaon, Meral, Nagar-Untari and Ranka. Later, six more blocks were added by reorganizing the existing blocks. These are: Chiniya, Dandai, Kandi, Kharaundhi, Ramkanda Ramuna. This district comrises 156 Gram-Panchayat and 916 villages. It has two police sub-divisions: Garhwa and Nagar-Untari with eight police stations as Bhandaria, Bhawnathpur, Dhurki, Garhwa, Majhiyaon, Meral, Nagar-Untari, and Ranka.
After the Jharkhand state was formed the conditions of the roads in the state improved as compared to Bihar. The road between Garhwa and Nagar Untari is remarkable but the road connecting to Nagar Untari and Bhavnathpur is the worst . The road going through the mines is very bad and it takes hours to travel only 8 kilometers.
Nearest airport is at Varanasi (140 km). Garhwa Railway Station is a major railhead of the Eastern Railways. National Highway 75 has its route through Garhwa.
According to the 2011 census Garhwa district has a population of 1,322,387, roughly equal to the nation of Mauritius or the US state of New Hampshire. This gives it a ranking of 368th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 327 inhabitants per square kilometre (850 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 27.71 %. Garhwa has a sex ratio of 933 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 62.18 %.
- ^ "District-specific Literates and Literacy Rates, 2001". Registrar General, India, Ministry of Home Affairs. http://www.educationforallinindia.com/page157.html. Retrieved 2010-10-10.
- ^ "83 districts under the Security Related Expenditure Scheme". IntelliBriefs. 2009-12-11. http://intellibriefs.blogspot.com/2009/12/naxal-menace-83-districts-under.html. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- ^ a b Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme". National Institute of Rural Development. http://www.nird.org.in/brgf/doc/brgf_BackgroundNote.pdf. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- ^ a b c d e f "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. http://www.census2011.co.in/district.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- ^ US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2119rank.html. Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Mauritius 1,303,717 July 2011 est."
- ^ "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/apportionment-pop-text.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "New Hampshire 1,316,470"
|Sonbhadra district, Uttar Pradesh||Rohtas district, Bihar|
|Surguja district, Chhattisgarh||Latehar district|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Garhwa district. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|