This text is collapsible.
Gershom BIGELOW , eleventh child, tenth son of Joshua 2, (John 1), and Elizabeth (FLAGG) BIGELOW, was born 06 September 1701 in Watertown, Middlesex co, MA. He was married 25 June 1724 in Watertown to Rachel GALE, daughter of Abraham and Rachel (PARKHURST) GALE. She was born 14 December 1702 in Watertown. Gershom Biglo bought land in Sutton 24 April 1729 from Nath'l Jones of Worcester.
On 25 October 1742 he sold 25 acres to David Baldwin of Sudbury, he then living in Sutton. Again on 12 June 1752 Gershom Biglo and wife Rachel sold their home place to Zechariah Nichols of Redding. Four children were recorded in Weston, several others at Sutton, and possibly others born at Auburn or Royalston. Gershom died in Auburn on 02 February 1789; his wife Rachel died there 05 November 1800.
Family of Gershom and Rachel Bigelow
Known children of Gershom and Rachel (GALE) BIGELOW:
- Susannah, b 24 Oct 1724 Weston.
- Jabez Bigelow (1726-1808) - b 04 Oct 1726 Weston; d 01 Dec 1808 New Lebanon, Columbia co, NY; m 10 Oct 1752 Susannah ELDERKIN; res CT, MA, & NY; 10 children.
- Joshua, b 19 Dec 1728 Weston; d ca 1758 Sutton, MA; m 28 June 1753 Elizabeth STIMPSON; res Sutton. 1 daughter.
- Eunice, b 07 Feb 1731 Weston; (no further record). The Bigelow genealogy errs in stating she married Samuel WOODWARD--this was, in fact, Eunice, daughter of Joshua (16B3) above; This error found in Howe as well.
- Abigail, bapt 29 Apr 1733 Sutton.
- Mary, bapt 14 Sept 1735 Sutton.
- Elizabeth, bapt 03 Apr 1738 Sutton.
- Hepsibeh, bapt 21 Sept 1740 Sutton.
- Gershom, no birth or bapt, but always referred to as Gershom jr; d after 1783; m at Sutton 11 Jan 1770 Lydia STOCKWELL; res Sutton, Auburn, & Royalston. 5 children.
- Family History of Gershom Bigelow - Bigelow Family History Society
- Bigelow Family Genealogy, Vol I page 36;
- Howe, Bigelow Family of America; pg 44;
- Town records and vital records Weston, Auburn, Sutton, Royalston;
- vital records re Samuel WOODWARD & Family.
- Bigelow - Bond's Watertown; p.34: Gershom Bigelow, m. June 25, 1724, Rachel Gale.