Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Greater Sydney, a coastal region of New South Wales, 10th-largest of the state's twelve regions, is home to about a quarter of the population of Australia. Its heart is the City of Sydney on the south shore of Sydney Harbour about 10 km from the ocean. The extremities of the region are over 200 km to the west in the Great Dividing Range.
Most of the metropolitan area is in Cumberland County, which was the colony's first-proclaimed county in 1788. Counties partially included are (clockwise from the south):
- Camden - one parish under Camden Council and ten under Wollondilly Shire Council; remaining 40-odd parishes mostly in Illawarra region
- Cook - most of City of Blue Mountains and some of City of Hawkesbury; the western parishes are mostly in Lithgow
- Hunter - a dozen of its parishes are in the City of Hawkesbury; balance in Hunter region or Lithgow
- Northumberland - all of Central Coast and a few parishes in City of Hawkesbury; balance in Hunter region
Adjoining regions are the very small region of Illawarra (dominated by Wollongong) to the south, a corner of South East to the south-west [sic], Central West (with closest city Lithgow) to the west and north-west, and Hunter (dominated by Newcastle) to the north.
- GenWeb forum
- Dept of Local Government - Sydney Surrounds
- Dept of Local Government - Sydney Outer
- Dept of Local Government - Sydney Inner
This page is a "stub" and could be improved by additions and other edits.