Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Greene County, Alabama|
Greene County Courthouse in Eutaw, Ala.
Location in the state of Alabama
Alabama's location in the U.S.
|Founded||December 13, 1819|
|Named for||Nathanael Greene|
660 sq mi (1,709 km²)
647 sq mi (1,676 km²)
13 sq mi (34 km²), 1.9%
14/sq mi (5/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Greene County is a county in the U.S. state of Alabama. As of the 2010 census, the population was 9,045. making it the least populous county in Alabama. Its county seat is Eutaw. Its name is in honor of Revolutionary War General Nathanael Greene of Rhode Island.
Greene County was established on December 13, 1819. It is the least populated county in Alabama.
- Pickens County (north)
- Tuscaloosa County (northeast)
- Hale County (east)
- Marengo County (south)
- Sumter County (southwest)
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 9,045 people residing in the county. 81.5% were Black or African American, 17.4% White, 0.2% Native American, 0.2% Asian, 0.3% of some other race and 0.5% of two or more races. 0.8% were Hispanic or Latino (of any race).
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,974 people, 3,931 households, and 2,649 families residing in the county. The population density was 15 people per square mile (6/km2). There were 5,117 housing units at an average density of 8 per square mile (3/km2). The racial makeup of the county was 19.09% White, 80.34% Black or African American, 0.12% Native American, 0.08% Asian, 0.10% from other races, and 0.27% from two or more races. 0.58% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 3,931 households out of which 32.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 36.40% were married couples living together, 27.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.60% were non-families. 30.80% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.52 and the average family size was 3.16.
In the county the population was spread out with 29.20% under the age of 18, 8.90% from 18 to 24, 25.10% from 25 to 44, 22.10% from 45 to 64, and 14.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 88.40 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 79.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $19,819, and the median income for a family was $24,604. Males had a median income of $25,707 versus $19,051 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,686. About 29.90% of families and 34.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 44.10% of those under age 18 and 31.60% of those age 65 or over.
- Eutaw (county seat)
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Greene County, Alabama
- Properties on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in Greene County, Alabama
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/01/01063.html. Retrieved May 16, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. http://www2.census.gov/geo/docs/maps-data/data/gazetteer/counties_list_01.txt. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
- ^ "County Totals Dataset: Population, Population Change and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". http://www.census.gov/popest/data/counties/totals/2015/CO-EST2015-alldata.html. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
- ^ Forstall, Richard L., ed (March 24, 1995). "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/al190090.txt. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. April 2, 2001. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
|Pickens County||Tuscaloosa County|
Greene County, Alabama
|Sumter County||Marengo County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Greene County, Alabama. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|