Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Hamilton County, Kansas|
Hamilton County courthouse in Syracuse
Location in the state of Kansas
Kansas's location in the U.S.
|Founded||March 20, 1873|
997.62 sq mi (2,584 km²)
996.49 sq mi (2,581 km²)
1.13 sq mi (3 km²), 0.11%
2.6/sq mi (1.0/km²)
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
Hamilton County (county code HM) is a county located in Southwest Kansas, in the Central United States. As of the 2010 census, the county population was 2,690. Its county seat and most populous city is Syracuse.
Law and governmentEdit
Although the Kansas Constitution was amended in 1986 to allow the sale of alcoholic liquor by the individual drink with the approval of voters, Hamilton County has remained a prohibition, or "dry", county.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 997.62 square miles (2,583.8 km2), of which 996.49 square miles (2,580.9 km2) (or 99.89%) is land and 1.13 square miles (2.9 km2) (or 0.11%) is water.
- Greeley County (north)
- Wichita County (northeast)
- Kearny County (east)
- Grant County (southeast)
- Stanton County (south)
- Prowers County, Colorado (west)
As of the U.S. Census in 2000, there were 2,670 people, 1,054 households, and 715 families residing in the county. The population density was 3 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 1,211 housing units at an average density of 1 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 81.65% White, 0.56% Asian, 0.49% Black or African American, 0.49% Native American, 15.13% from other races, and 1.69% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 20.60% of the population.
There were 1,054 households out of which 33.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.90% were married couples living together, 7.60% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.10% were non-families. 29.40% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.49 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the county the population was spread out with 28.40% under the age of 18, 7.20% from 18 to 24, 25.30% from 25 to 44, 20.90% from 45 to 64, and 18.40% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 97.60 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.60 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $32,033, and the median income for a family was $38,550. Males had a median income of $26,701 versus $21,000 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,484. About 10.90% of families and 15.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.50% of those under age 18 and 9.40% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns Edit
Name and population (2010 census):
Hamilton County is divided into eight townships. None of the cities within the county are considered governmentally independent, and all figures for the townships include those of the cities. In the following table, the population center is the largest city (or cities) included in that township's population total, if it is of a significant size.
/km² (/sq mi)
| Land area|
km² (sq mi)
| Water area|
km² (sq mi)
|Water %||Geographic coordinates|
|Bear Creek||04850||69||0 (0)||452 (174)||1 (0)||0.19%|
|Coolidge||15425||128||0 (1)||297 (115)||1 (0)||0.37%|
|Kendall||36425||101||0 (1)||234 (90)||0 (0)||0%|
|Lamont||38275||89||0 (1)||426 (164)||0 (0)||0.02%|
|Liberty||40075||38||0 (0)||257 (99)||0 (0)||0.03%|
|Medway||45650||53||0 (0)||279 (108)||1 (0)||0.28%|
|Richland||59325||27||0 (0)||426 (164)||0 (0)||0%|
|Syracuse||69875||2,165||10 (27)||210 (81)||0 (0)||0.01%|
|Sources: "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files". U.S. Census Bureau, Geography Division. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/places2k.html.|
Unified school districts Edit
Information on this and other counties in Kansas
- List of counties in Kansas
- List of Kansas county name etymologies
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Kansas
- Kansas locations by per capita income
Other information for Kansas
- List of cities in Kansas
- List of unified school districts in Kansas
- List of colleges and universities in Kansas
- ^ "2010 County Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST05&prodType=table. Retrieved March 31, 2011.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Map of Wet and Dry Counties". Alcoholic Beverage Control, Kansas Department of Revenue. November 2004. http://www.ksrevenue.org/abcwetdrymap.htm. Retrieved 2007-01-21.
- ^ "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/county2k.txt. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- History of the State of Kansas; William G. Cutler; A.T. Andreas Publisher; 1883. (Online HTML eBook)
- Kansas : A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc; 3 Volumes; Frank W. Blackmar; Standard Publishing Co; 944 / 955 / 824 pages; 1912. (Volume1 - Download 54MB PDF eBook),(Volume2 - Download 53MB PDF eBook), (Volume3 - Download 33MB PDF eBook)
- Additional information
- Hamilton County Map, KDOT
- Kansas Highway Map, KDOT
- Kansas Railroad Map, KDOT
- Kansas School District Boundary Map, KSDE
|Kiowa County, Colorado||Greeley County||Wichita County|
|Prowers County, Colorado||Kearny County|
Hamilton County, Kansas
|Prowers County, Colorado||Stanton County||Grant County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Hamilton County, Kansas. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|