Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Henry County, Iowa|
Henry County Courthouse
Location in the state of Iowa
Iowa's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Henry Dodge|
|Largest city||Mount Pleasant|
437 sq mi (1,132 km²)
434 sq mi (1,124 km²)
2.2 sq mi (6 km²), 0.5%
46/sq mi (18/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Henry County is a county located in the U.S. state of Iowa. As of the 2010 census, the population was 20,145. The county seat is Mount Pleasant. The county was named for General Henry Dodge, governor of Wisconsin Territory.
In 1839, construction of the first courthouse was begun and completed in 1840. In 1871, construction of a second courthouse began and on August 4, 1914, the third courthouse was completed which is still presently used as such.
- Washington County (north)
- Louisa County (northeast)
- Des Moines County (east)
- Lee County (south)
- Van Buren County (southwest)
- Jefferson County (west)
|U.S. Decennial Census|
The 2010 census recorded a population of 20,145 in the county, with a population density of 47.4625/sq mi (18.3254/km2). There were 8,280 housing units, of which 7,666 were occupied.
As of the census of 2000, there were 20,336 people, 7,626 households, and 5,269 families residing in the county. The population density was 47 people per square mile (18/km²). There were 8,246 housing units at an average density of 19 per square mile (7/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 94.78% White, 1.49% Black or African American, 0.24% Native American, 1.88% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.52% from other races, and 1.07% from two or more races. 1.26% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 7,626 households out of which 32.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.70% were married couples living together, 8.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.90% were non-families. 26.80% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.46 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.70% under the age of 18, 9.00% from 18 to 24, 29.20% from 25 to 44, 22.50% from 45 to 64, and 14.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 102.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $39,087, and the median income for a family was $46,985. Males had a median income of $31,801 versus $23,075 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,192. About 6.70% of families and 8.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.30% of those under age 18 and 9.30% of those age 65 or over.
- Oakland Mills
† county seat
|Rank||City/Town/etc.||Municipal type||Population (2010 Census)
|1||† Mount Pleasant||City||8,668|
|11||Coppock (partially in Jefferson and Washington Counties)||City||47|
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/19/19087.html. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off.. pp. 155. https://books.google.com/books?id=9V1IAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA155#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- ^ Henry County, Iowa History
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "County Totals Dataset: Population, Population Change and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". http://www.census.gov/popest/data/counties/totals/2015/CO-EST2015-alldata.html. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- ^ "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/ia190090.txt. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- ^ "Population & Housing Occupancy Status 2010". United States Census Bureau American FactFinder. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST05&prodType=table. Retrieved May 17, 2011.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ http://www.census.gov/2010census/
|Washington County||Louisa County|
|Jefferson County||Des Moines County|
Henry County, Iowa
|Van Buren County||Lee County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Henry County, Iowa. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|