Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Henry County, Kentucky|
Henry County courthouse in New Castle, Kentucky.
Location in the state of Kentucky
Kentucky's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Patrick Henry (1736–1799), Revolutionary War patriot.|
291.11 sq mi (754 km²)
289.32 sq mi (749 km²)
1.79 sq mi (5 km²), 0.61%
52/sq mi (20/km²)
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
As of 2000, the population is 15,060. Its county seat is New Castle. Since the 1990s, it has become an increasingly important exurb county in the Louisville/Jefferson County, KY–IN Metropolitan Statistical Area, especially as land prices have skyrocketed in neighboring Oldham County.
With regard to the sale of alcohol, it is classified as a moist county— a county in which alcohol sales are prohibited (a dry county), but containing a "wet" city. Eminence allows package alcohol sales.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 291.11 square miles (754.0 km2), of which 289.32 square miles (749.3 km2) (or 99.39%) is land and 1.79 square miles (4.6 km2) (or 0.61%) is water.
- Carroll County (north)
- Owen County (east)
- Franklin County (southeast)
- Shelby County (south)
- Oldham County (west)
- Trimble County (northwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 15,060 people, 5,844 households, and 4,330 families residing in the county. The population density was 52 per square mile (20 /km2). There were 6,381 housing units at an average density of 22 per square mile (8.5 /km2). The racial makeup of the county was 93.97% White, 3.30% Black or African American, 0.24% Native American, 0.35% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.26% from other races, and 0.86% from two or more races. 2.25% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 5,844 households out of which 33.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.70% were married couples living together, 10.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.90% were non-families. 22.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 2.97.
The age distribution was 25.40% under the age of 18, 7.90% from 18 to 24, 29.70% from 25 to 44, 24.70% from 45 to 64, and 12.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 99.30 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.90 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $37,263, and the median income for a family was $45,009. Males had a median income of $31,478 versus $21,982 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,846. About 10.40% of families and 13.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.50% of those under age 18 and 19.90% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and communitiesEdit
- Wendell Berry, writer
- Louisville-Jefferson County, KY-IN Metropolitan Statistical Area
- Louisville-Elizabethtown-Scottsburg, KY-IN Combined Statistical Area
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Henry County, Kentucky
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Wet & Dry Counties in Kentucky" (PDF). Kentucky Office of Alcoholic Beverage Control. Archived from the original on March 15, 2007. http://web.archive.org/web/20070315092139/http://www.abc.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/88403470-8A7E-410C-9816-8B520F7649C8/0/WetDryList.pdf. Retrieved March 21, 2007.
- ^ "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/county2k.txt. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Henry County, Kentucky. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|