Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
On 14 March 1783, at Thetford, Norfolk, Henry was tried for burglary. He was sentenced to transportation for 7 years, and left England on the Friendship (May 1787). He arrived with the First Fleet on 26 January 1788. Susannah Holmes married Henry on 10 February 1788, in a group marriage of three (or possibly five) couples, the first weddings in the colony. They had met in gaol and Susannah had born his child, Henry, in gaol in 1786.
On Burial certificate: Henry lived at Windsor, he was 84 years and listed as a yeoman. He was buried 2 days after he died, on the 18th March, 1846 at the parish of St Matthew, Windsor, County of Cumberland, N.S.W. The ceremony was performed by Henry T. Stiles and it was a Church of England burial.
On marriage certificate: The only information is Henry Cable and Susannah Holmes married on 10th February, 1788.
Family Oral History
Although it has been research thoroughly and no documented evidence exists to back the story there is a persistent family story that Henry carried Captain Phillip ashore when the First Fleet arrived at Sydney Cove, thus making Henry the first white person to step foot in Australia. This story seems to have spread through several generations down widely separated branches of the family. The main reason the story persists is that no one believes that Captain Phillip would jump into the water in order to reach shore.
- NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages 3 Vol: 1 (Marriage) & 578 Vol: 31 (Death)
- First Fleet Online: Henry Kable (http://fmpro.uow.edu.au/FirstFleet/FMPro?-db=ff.fp3&-format=detail.htm&-op=cn&-recid=112&-find=). Accessed 24 Dec 2006.
- Australian Dictionary of Biography, online edition: Kable, Henry (1763 - 1846) (http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A020028b.htm). Accessed 20 January 2007.
- The Kables : a Genealogical Descendency of the Issue from Australia's First Wedding Ceremony, 1788-1983. Compiled and Drawn by Bryan Thomas, assisted by Zillah Kable Thomas.
- http://users.tpg.com.au/juls2/zillahfiles/zillahnew/index.htm Henry and Susannah Kable / by Zillah Campbell. Accessed 24 May 2009.