Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Hermann is the son of Theodore Holzberger (1809-1875)
- Augusta Wilhelmina Criddle (1857-??)
- Ernest William Holzberger (1859-??)
- Friedrich Holzberger (1859-??)
- Julius Herman Holzberger (1862-??)
- Auguste Ernestina Holzberger (1864-??)
- Louisa Holzberger (1866-1867)
- Charles William Holzberger (1868-??)
- Hermann Carl Holzberger (1868-??)
- Loise Minna Holzberger (1870-??)
- Julia Holzberger (1873-??)
- Charlotte Louisa Holzberger (1875-??)
Hermann Holzberger arrived in Port Adelaide, South Australia aboard the George Washington, with his father Theodore, on 2 March 1849. He married Johanne Wilhelmine Julianne Topfer on 6 August 1857 at the Lutheran Chapel in Lobethal. By 1875 the couple had had 11 children.
By 1868 he was working as a butcher and living on Rundle Street, Adelaide. Over the following decade he lived at numerous addresses along Rundle Street, though this may have been due to shifting house numbers (the numbers include 157, 194, 227, and 238).
By 1883 he had moved to Port Augusta where he continued his trade as a butcher. Around 1887 he moved to Melbourne with his wife and their two youngest children, Julia (aged 16) and Charlotte (ages 12). the family lived in numerous houses around Fitzroy, North Melbourne, and Carlton. Johanne died in 1897, aged 56. This was followed two years later by the death of Charlotte, aged 24. Three years after this, Julia died, aged 31. Hermann died in 1913, aged 76.
- Passenger list of the George Washington for the 1848/9 journey
- Discussion on the George Washington's journey to Adelaide from RootsWeb
- Annotated passenger list of the George Washington