Historic Hinton bridge, built in 1901
|Population:||313 [Note 1]|
|• Density:||208.7/km² (540.5/sq mi) [Note 2]|
|Elevation:||6 m (20 ft) [Note 3]|
|Area:||9.8 km² (3.8 sq mi) [Note 4]|
| Time zone:
• Summer (DST)
|LGA:||Port Stephens Council|
Hinton is a suburb of the Port Stephens Local Government Area in the Hunter Region of New South Wales, Australia. Primarily rural, the largest population centre is the township of Hinton, which is situated on the Paterson River, near to the confluence of the Hunter and Paterson rivers.
Due to the close proximity of the Hunter and Paterson rivers and the low elevation of surrounding ground the town is often isolated for a number of days during periods of exceptionally high rainfall. Most recently this happened in March 2000 and June 2007.
- ^ ABS QuickStats does not include all residents of the geographically recognised suburb of Hinton. Instead, it concentrates only on the township.
- ^ This is the average density of the township only.
- ^ This is the average elevation of the township. The surrounding farmland is almost at river level as shown on 1:100000 map 9232 NEWCASTLE.
- ^ Area calculation is based on 1:100000 map 9232 NEWCASTLE.
- ^ Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Hinton (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABSNavigation/prenav/LocationSearch?collection=Census&period=2006&areacode=SSC11117&producttype=QuickStats&breadcrumb=PL&action=401. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- ^ a b "Geographical Names Register Extract: Hinton". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/name_search/extract?id=MaIOjzZTTR. Retrieved 27 May 2008.
- ^ "Suburb Search - Local Council Boundaries - Hunter (HT)". New South Wales Division of Local Government. http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/dlg/dlghome/dlg_Regions.asp?region=HT®iontype=1. Retrieved 27 May 2008.
- ^ "Hinton". Department of Lands - Spatial Information eXchange. New South Wales Department of Lands. http://imagery.maps.nsw.gov.au/?role=mysuburb&search=suburb&suburb=Hinton. Retrieved 27 May 2008.
|This Port Stephens Council geography article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Hinton, New South Wales. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|