Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
• ID: I7530 • Name: James Albert MITCHELL • Sex: M • Birth: 4 JUL 1843 in Kentucky • Death: 26 MAY 1906 • Note: SOURCES: 1860-80 & 1900 Census
FAMILY: In 1870 James and his wife were living in Bowling Green, Warren Co., KY. In 1880 & 1900 James and his second wife and family were living in Bowling Green, Warren Co., KY OCCUPATION: In 1870-80 James was a lawyer
- Kentucky Biographies (RG 976.9 B); pg 174-175. "James A. Mitchell, Attorney at law of Bowling Green, son of James and Martha (Stockton) Mitchell was born in (now) Metcalfe county, KY, July 4, 1843.... He grew to manhood in his native county, attended Columbia Seminary and went to Center College in 1862, when he joined the Confederate Army under Gen. Morgan. While on the noted Ohio raid in 1863, he was captured and was a prisoner of war at Camp (?), Columbus, OH for 1 month, and at Camp Douglas, Chicago , for 18 months, where he was exchanged. He then went to Richmond, VA, arriving there 28 FEB 1865. After Gen. Lee's surrender, Mr. Mitchell, with the remnant of Gen. Morgan's command, crossed the mountains to Charlotte , NC, where Jefferson Davis and the members of (?)halted in their retreat from Richmond. ... He returned to KY and taught school for one year. In the autumn of 1866, he entered the law department of Washington College , VA , of which Gen. Robert E. Lee was then Pres. There were 22 members in the class o f that year and 21 were ex-confederate soldiers. He was graduated in 1867, and the diploma, which he received, bears the signature of Gen. Lee. Mr. Mitchell began his professional career at Madisonville, KY, remaining there until AUG 1868, when he removed to Bowling Green. He married in 1869 to Sally Barclay, d/o the late Samuel A. Barclay of Bowling Green. She died in 1883, leaving 3 sons and 2 daughters."
• Change Date: 28 NOV 2005 at 22:25:13
- Father: James MITCHELL b: c. 1816 in Kentucky
- Mother: Martha Stockton (1824-1845) b: c. 1824 in Barren Co., KY
Marriage 1 Sarah (Sallie) BARCLAY b: 7 APR 1850 in Kentucky Children
- Robert S. MITCHELL b: c. 1870 in Kentucky
- Martha Douglas (Mattie) MITCHELL b: 5 APR 1873 in Kentucky
- Louise MITCHELL b: c. 1874 in Kentucky
- Samuel Barclay MITCHELL b: 31 OCT 1879 in Kentucky
- Julius B. MITCHELL b: MAY 1883 in Kentucky
Marriage 2 Carrie B. (?) Mitchell b: OCT 1858 in Kentucky • Married: c. 1885 Children
- Catherine MITCHELL b: FEB 1894 in Kentucky
- James A. MITCHELL b: SEP 1897 in Kentucky