Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
3 November 1800 in Tennessee, United States to James "Smoking Jimmy" Gillespy (1772-1861) and Eleanor Cowan (1774-1831) and died 6 June 1882 in Canonsburg, Washington County, Pennsylvania, United States of unspecified causes. She married David Carson, Rev. (1799-1834) . Ancestors are from the United Kingdom.Jane Walker Gillespy was born
The content of this page contributed by: Margie Cowan
- Born: 03 Nov 1800, TN
- Married: 09 Oct 1827
- Died: 06 Jun 1882, Canonsburg, Washington Co., PA
- Burial: Oak Spring Cemetery, Canonsburg, Washington Co., PA
|Offspring of Jane Walker Gillespy and David Carson, Rev. (1799-1834)|
|David Walker Carson (1830-1911)||30 October 1830 Maryville, Blount County, Tennessee, United States||3 September 1911 Canonsburg, Washington County, Pennsylvania, United States|| Mary Anna SMARTT (1840 - 1914)|
|James Gillespie CARSON (1833-1921)|| |
|Ellen Jane E B CARSON (1831-1858)|
- David Walker CARSON, Rev. (b. 30 Oct 1830, Blount Co., VA; d. 03 Sep 1911 in PA; bur. Fairview Cemetery, Washington Co., PA
- James Gillespie CARSON, Rev. (b. 11 Feb 1833 at Maryville, Blount Co., TN; d. 27 Aug 1921 at Xenia, Greene Co., OH; bur. Oak Spring Cemetery, Canonsburg, Washington Co., PA)
- Ellen Jane E B CARSON (b. 18 Apr 1831, TN; d. 31 Mar 1858, Burgettstown, PA; bur. Oak Spring Cemetery, Canonsburg, Washington Co., PA)
- The Washington Reporter, Washington, Pennsylvania, July 5, 1882
DECEASED -- Mrs. Carson, of Burgettstown, died on Monday last at the residence of her son, Rev. Dr. David Carson, at the age of 82 years. She was the widow of Rev. David Carson, who was at one time professor in the Theological Seminary at this place, and who died here in 1834 in the 35th year of his age. The Carsons came from Tennessee. Mrs. Carson's father, James Gilespie [sic], also came here and brought with him some of his slaves, of these Edith Caldwell and Lucinda Gillespie have recently died in this place. After the death of Rev. Carson, Mrs. Carson resided for many years in the house now occupied by A. L. Runion. Her sons, David W. and James G. are both well known ministers of the United Presbyterian Church. Her remains were buried beside those of her husband in Oak Spring Cemetery near this place. -- Canonsburg Herald
- Tombstone, Oak Springs Cemetery, Canonsburg, PA
Jane W. Gillespy Carson
Born Nov. 3, 1800
Died June 26, 1882
Dear children arise up and call for her
- 1840 census, PA, Washington Co., Canonsburg, shows 2 males under 5 (David W. and James G.) and 1 female under 5 (Ellen Jane) …
does not show Jane enumerated … shows 1 free male of color under 10 and 1 free female of color 10-24.
- 1850 census, PA, Washington Co., Canonsburg, M432_834, 12/04/1850, p. 392, l. 22-26 ...
shows head Jane W. Carson (40, TN), David (20, TN), James (18, TN), Ellen J. (16, PA) and James Gillaspie (78, VA)
- 1860 census, PA, Beaver Co., Racoon Township, M653_1071, 07/25/1860, p. 118 (662) ...
shows Jane (59, TN), David (28, TN), and James Gillespie (87, VA).
- 1870 census, PA, Washington Co, Racoon Township, M593_1303, 07/12/1870, p. 17
shows Jane G Carson (69, TN), David (39, TN)
- 1880 census, PA, Washington Co., Burgettstown, T9_1201, p. 441B …
David W (48, TN/PA/TN), Mary S (38, OH/PA/PA), Ella J (8, PA/TN/OH), and Jane W. (79, TN/VA/VA)
Return to Eleanor "Ellen" COWAN (1774 - 1831)