Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Jefferson County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Florida's location in the U.S.
|Founded||20 January 1827|
637 sq mi (1,650 km²)
39 sq mi (101 km²), 6.11%
21/sq mi (8/km²)
Jefferson County is a county located in the U.S. state of Florida. As of 2000, the population is 12,902. The U.S. Census Bureau 2005 estimate for the county is 14,490 . Its county seat is Monticello6.
Forts of Jefferson County Edit
- Fort Roger Jones (1839), Aucilla (Ocilla Ferry), north of US 90.
- Fort Noel (1839 - 1842), south of Lamont on the Aucilla River, six miles northwest of Fort Pleasant in Taylor County. Also known as Fort Number Three (M).
- Camp Carter (1838), near Waukeenah.
- Fort Welaunee (1838), a settlers' fort on the Welaunee Plantation near Wacissa. Fort Gamble (1839 - 1843) was later established here.
- Fort Aucilla (1843), two miles south-east of Fort Gamble, southwest of Lamont, between the Aucilla and Wacissa Rivers. Also spelled Ocilla.
- Fort Wacissa (1838), a settlers' fort located south of Wacissa on the Wacissa River, west of Cabbage Grove.
Jefferson County is part of the Tallahassee Metropolitan Statistical Area.
- Thomas County - north
- Brooks County - northeast
- Madison County - east
- Taylor County - southeast
- Wakulla County - southwest
- Leon County - west
As of the census2 of 2000, there were 12,902 people, 4,695 households, and 3,305 families residing in the county. The population density was 8/km² (22/sq mi). There were 5,251 housing units at an average density of 3/km² (9/sq mi). The racial makeup of the county was 59.27% White, 38.34% Black or African American, 0.39% Native American, 0.30% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.57% from other races, and 1.09% from two or more races. 2.25% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 4,695 households out of which 29.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.00% were married couples living together, 15.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.60% were non-families. 25.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the county the population was spread out with 22.70% under the age of 18, 8.20% from 18 to 24, 28.90% from 25 to 44, 25.70% from 45 to 64, and 14.50% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 104.10 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $32,998, and the median income for a family was $40,407. Males had a median income of $26,271 versus $25,748 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,006. About 13.30% of families and 17.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.70% of those under age 18 and 17.00% of those age 65 or over.
Jefferson County is one of only a handful of counties in the Florida Panhandle that politically favors the Democratic Party.
- City of Monticello
- Casa Blanco
- Thomas City
- Jefferson County Board of County Commissioners
- Jefferson County Supervisor of Elections
- Jefferson County Property Appraiser
- Jefferson County Sheriff's Office
- Jefferson County Tax Collector
Jefferson County SchoolsEdit
- Public School System
- Private School System
- Jefferson County Clerk of Courts
- Public Defender, 2nd Judicial Circuit of Florida serving Franklin, Gadsden, Jefferson, Leon, Liberty, and Wakulla counties
- Office of the State Attorney, 2nd Judicial Circuit of Florida
- Circuit and County Court for the 2nd Judicial Circuit of Florida
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Jefferson County, Florida. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|