John Callaway (1746 - July 10, 1821) was born in Somerset County, Maryland about 1746, son of Edward Callaway (1711-1769) and Elizabeth, both natives of Somerset Co., MD who later settled in Onslow County, North Carolina. He married in North Carolina about 1768 Bethany Arnold (1749-1844) and together they raised a family of twelve children. He died in Wilkes County, Georgia on July 10, 1821 and is buried in the Callaway Family Cemetery, Wilkes County, Georgia.
1. Job Callaway (1768-1865) first married in Oglethorpe County, Georgia June 4, 1796 Mary Milner (1777-1849), daughter of John Milner (1746-1812) and Elizabeth Godwin (1749-1812). Mr. Callaway secondly married in Shelby County, Alabama December 20, 1850 Matilda Paige.
2. John Callaway, Jr. (c1772-1844) first married in 1806 Tabitha Lawrence (1784-1821) and secondly in Wilkes County, Georgia on July 23, 1823 Rebecca Simmons (1781-?) of Oglethorpe County, Georgia.
3. Lydia Callaway (c1775-?) first married before 1818 George Lawrence and secondly, as his seond wife, Valentine Thrash (1783-1864), son of Jacob Thrash (c1742-c1815) and Katherine Charles (1746-1815).
4. Nancy Callaway (c1778-c1873) married in Wilkes County, Georgia on August 6, 1799 Rev. Daniel Carrington (1776-c1866), son of Rev. Timothy Carrington (1742-1822) and Winnifred King (1758-1852).
5. Esther Callaway (?-c1810) married, as his second wife, Isaac Whitaker (1765-1838), son of Abraham Whitaker.
6. Bethany Callaway (1780-1871) married about 1797 Joseph Hale Talbot (c1778-1858), son of Matthew Talbot, III (1756-1804) and Lucy Bailey (1760-?).
7. Elizabeth Callaway (1783-?) married June 24, 1808, as his second wife, George Arnold Jarrell (1781-1842), son of Thomas Jarrell (1746-1820) and Margaret.
8. Isaac Callaway (c1785-?) married before 1807 Sarah Anderson (1787-1850).
9. Pheriby Callaway (1787-1865), also known as "Pheraby," married on March 29, 1803 Reuben Strozier (1782-1850), son of Johan Peter Stroher (aka) Peter Strozier (c1735-1807) and Margaret Dozier (1740-1842).
10. Mary Callaway (1789-1869) married in Wilkes County, Georgia on August 20, 1806 Christopher Columbus Thrash (1779-1844), son of Jacob Thrash (c1742-c1815) and Katherine Charles (1746-1815).
11. Rev. Enoch Callaway (1792-1859) married in Wilkes County, Georgia on December 5, 1811 Martha Reeves (1796-1879), daughter of Abner Reeves (c1761-1809) and Sarah Wright (c1773-1858).
12. Adah Callaway (1795-1878) married in Wilkes County, Georgia on January 16, 1811 John Ballard Milner (1790-1830), son of Willis Milner (1768-1791) and Sarah Ballard (c1768-?).
John Callaway (1746-1821) - Find A Grave