John Callaway (c1685-1770) was born in Somerset County, Maryland, son of American Immigrant Peter Callaway (c1640-c1719) and Elizabeth Johnson (1654-1739), daughter of John and Susan Johnson of Wicomico, Somerset Co.
Mr. Callaway married in Stepney Parish, Somerset Co. on December 25, 1709 Mary Gould (1689-1768), daughter of Edward and Frances Gould of "Beverly", Somerset Co. Together, they raised a family of nine children all born in Somerset Co.:
1. Mary Callaway (c1710-?) married William Kinney.
2. Edward Callaway (1711-1769) married Elizabeth.
3. Ann Callaway (b. 1711-1715 - ?)
4. John Callaway, Jr. (1715-1763) married Keziah Wilder.
5. Isaac Callaway (?-1768) married Mary Elenor Unknown.
6. Ebenezer Callaway (1727-1789) married Mary Leah Hall.
7. Sarah Callaway born October 4, 1729.
8. Rachel Callaway born January 28, 1731/32 married a Mr. Lynch.
9. Catherine Callaway born October 26, 1734.