Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Birth:||03 January 1812 Switzerland |
|Death:||29 June 1888 Cedar Falls, Iowa|
|Spouse/Partner:||Barbara Senn (1820)  |
John Messerly aka Johann Messerli
- As of the 1870 Census (known to have several errors on ages) gives residence in Iowa > Bremer > Maxfield with Chas 28, Gottlieb 21, Margaret 18, Elizabeth 16, Louisa 14 (born Iowa), Sophia 12 (born Iowa). All other children listed as swiss birth.
- Spelling in 1880 Census is John Messerlee (69) in Iowa > Black Hawk > Cedar Falls > District 46, with Barbara 62 and Louisa 22. Jacob Pfifer (16) is also living there- occupation listed- maybe some else can guess what it is.
- Passenger list- arrival in US: 22 April 1854 - Metropolitan Spelling was Johann MESSERLI
Later life Edit
Tombstone in Greenwood Cemetery
Buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Black Hawk County, Iowa. 'In Block 5, just west of the Original Section, is a monument erected in memory of John Messerly and Barbara Messerly. This, too, was finished by the Western White Bronze Company in Des Moines. The monument is between six and eight feet tall, and is well preserved. John died in 1880, and his wife passed away fifteen years later, on September 10, 1895. Located on the monument below Barbara’s name is an epitaph that reads: "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith; hence forth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness".' [source of this quote
- Sources for Rootsweb document:
- Census records - Iowa; 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900 and 1910
- Obit for Barbara SENN MESSERLY
- Obit for Rudolph MESSERLY
- Family History writings of Rudolph MESSERLY
- Info from Tombstone at Greenwood Cemetery, Black Hawk County, Iowa
|Name||Birthdate||Birthplace||Death date||Death place|
|Children of John Messerly (1812) and Barbara Senn Messerly|
|Elisabeth Messerly (c1852)||1852||Switzerland|
|Mary Messerly||Switzerland||Married Henry Walters|
|Charles Messerly (c1839)||1839||Switzerland|
|Rose Messerly (c1842)||06 October 1842||Switzerland||Married Henry Wisner|
|Rudolf Messerly (1844) ||05 April 1844||Switzerland||18 June 1931||Cedar Falls, Iowa|
|Gottliep MESSERLY (c1849)||1849||Switzerland|
|Margaret Messerly (c1852)||1852||Switzerland||Married William Kline|
|Elizabeth Messerly (c1853)||06 August 1853||Switzerland||11 July 1934||Oelwein, Iowa Married Christian Grunig|
|Lucy Messerly (c1855)||16 September 1855||Bremer County, Iowa||18 January 1949||Cedar Falls, Iowa- unmarried|
|Sophia Messerly (c1857) ||13 August 1857||Maxfield twp, Bremer County, Iowa||07 August 1944||Cedar Falls, Iowa|
Source- Rootsweb document with some dates verified by 1880 Census
- for further info see John Messerly (1812) / children#Footnotes
- ^ 1870 census
- ^ 1870 census records gives Barbara age as 55, assumed as incorrect, since both the 1880 census is in agreement with the rootsweb document gives Barbara birth as 20 October 1820.
- ^ rootsweb Barbara death info: Place of Death Cedar Falls, Iowa on 10 September 1895.
- ^ Married Sophia TIEDT 24 March 1870 according to rootsweb document
- ^ Married to Friedrich SEUFFERLEIN 29 December 1875 Black Hawk County, Iowa
"Rootsweb document":  Accessed 28 Aug 2007