Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Born: c1650, based on the fact that his son John II is said to have been married in 1702. If we assume John II was 20 years of age at marriage, then he was born about 1680. Assuming John I was about 20 years of age when he married, then we get a latest plausible DOB for John I of about 1660. Allowing for the possibilities that John I and John II were somewhat older than 20 at marriage, or that John II was John I's first child, then a DOB pf c1650 seems reasonable.
- Married: c. 1670, (same reasoning as above)
- Died: We do not have a solid basis for using 'aft1702' as the DOD for John I. This date simply assumes he was alive at the time of the marriage of his son John II. A life range of (c1650-?) might be more accurate.
The lineage of John Walker I is not known. Some have identified his father as a George Walker of Wigton Scotland, but have not indicated what that reasoning is based on. In some cases his father has been identified as George Walker of the Siege of Londonderry in . There appears to be no basis for this conclusion, as this George Walker (1645-1690) seems to have come to Ireland from England, not Wigton Scotland.
The 1685 census roll for Wigtonshire does not include a John Walker, though there were numerous other Walkers in the area to whom he could have been related. Persons bearing the surname Walker continue to live in the area, but whether they are related to John I is unknown. There could easily be several independent lines of Walkers living in the area today. There could have been several such lines living in the area during the later part of the 18th century. It is likey that identificaiton of John I's parents will require the use of DNA evidence in order to make a connection with other Walkers currently in the area, for whom additional information on their ancestry might be available.
- Alexander Walker I (c1682-c1786) = Jane Cowan ? (?-?)
- John Walker II (c1682-1734) = Katherine Rutherford (c1682-1738)
1. White, Emma Siggins, 1902. White 1902. Genealogy of the descendants of John Walker of Wigton, Scotland, with records of a few allied families. Also war records and some fragmentary notes pertaining to the history of Virginia. 1600-1902