19 December 1714 in Boston, Massachusetts, United States to Adam Winthrop (1672-1743) and Anna and died 3 May 1779 in Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States of unspecified causes. He married Rebecca Townsend (1718-1753) . Ancestors are from the United States, the United Kingdom.John Winthrop was born
|Offspring of John Winthrop and Rebecca Townsend (1718-1753)|
|John Winthrop (1747-1800)|| |
|Adam Winthrop (1748-1774)|| |
|Samuel Winthrop (1750-1751)|| |
|James Winthrop (1752-1821)|| |
|William Winthrop (1753-1825)|
Vital statistics Edit
- Son of Adam Winthrop (1672-1743) and Anna.
- Born 19 Dec 1714 at Boston.
- Died 3 May 1779 in Cambridge.
- Married 1st Rebecca Townsend (1718-1753)
- Married 2nd Hannah Fairweather (1726-1790) - marriage banns published 25 Mar 1756.
- Graduated Harvard College 1738
- Appointed Hollis professor of mathematics and natural philosophy 1738.
- Dec 1740 - published astronomy paper about transit of Mercury across the Sun to the Royal Society of London.
Children of John Winthrop and Rebecca Townsend Edit
- John Winthrop (1747-1800)
- Adam Winthrop (1748-1774)
- Samuel Winthrop (1750-1751) - b. 20 July 1750, d. 28 July 1751.
- James Winthrop (1752-1821) - "a man of much curious erudition"
- William Winthrop (1753-1825) - state senator
Children of John Winthrop and Hannah Fairweather Edit
No known children for this couple?
Genealogical mistakes Edit
It appears that several family history records list the husband of Rebecca Townsend as Adam Winthrop.
- Historic Homes, Places and Genealogical Memoirs of Middlesex County - Vol I, pg 3, Publ 1908 - See Google Books