In briefEditJonathon L Calef was born 8 May 1762 in Chester, New Hampshire, United States to Joseph Calef (1718-1793) and Elizabeth Jewell (c1718) and died 24 April 1845 in Lyman, Maine, United States of unspecified causes. He married Elizabeth Hemmenway (1768-1799) 3 February 1794 . He married Grace Sears Atwood (1785-1850) 20 January 1803 in Fairfield, Maine, United States. Ancestors are from the United States.
- of: Canaan (now Bloomfield) and Lyman, Maine
- Born: 08 May 1762, Chester, New Hampshire
- Died: 24 April 1845, Lyman, Maine
- Parents: ♂Joseph Calef and ♀Elizabeth Jewell
- Married (1): ♀Elizabeth Hemmenway 3 February 1794
- Born: 2 July 1768, Wells, Maine
- Died: 18 February 1799, Canaan, Maine
- Parents: ♂Rev. Dr. Moses and ♀Mary Jefferds or Wells, Maine
- Married (2): ♀Grace Sears Atwood 20 January 1803, Fairfield, Maine
- Born: 02 January 1784, Eastham, Massachusetts
- Died: 02 December 1850, Portland, Maine
- Parents: ♂Capt. Ezra Atwood and ♀Rhoda Sears
|Offspring of Jonathon L Calef and Elizabeth Hemmenway (1768-1799)|
|Elizabeth Calef (1795-?)|| |
|Mary Jane Calef (1798-1859)|
- by wife Elizabeth
- by wife Grace Sears
- ♂Jonathon Sears Calef, b. 30 March 1804; d. 25 Jan 1806
- ♂Jonathon Sears Calef, b. 14 October 1806
- ♀Lucinda Atwood Calef, b. 31 May 1808; d. 24 Nov 1882
- ♀Grace Sears Calef, b. 16 February 1813; d. 27 Mar 1888
- ♀Rhoda Atwood Calef, b. 15 November 1815
- ♂John Low Calef, b. 20 August 1818, Lyman, Maine.; d. 04 January 1891, Haverhill, Essex Co., Massachusetts, U.S.A.
- ♀Sarah Herrick Calef, b. 10 June 1823
- Jonathon was one of the few ministers in the Calef family. He was a scholar - the master, it is said, of seven languages. He graduated at Dartmouth in 1787, won his master's degree in 1791, and then went to Wells, Maine, to study divinity with Dr. Moses Hemmenway, whose daughter in due time he married. He held but two pastorates, the first in Canaan, Maine, the second in Lyman. There in 1801 a church was formed with twenty-three members, where he served for thirty years, and lived on in Lyman till his death, fourteen years later.
- "Robert Calef of Boston and Some of his Decendants" Compiled by Anne Calef Boardman, The New England Historical Genealogical Society, Essex Institute, Salem, Massachusetts 1940
- Doug Kastanotis' Main Page with Family Group Genealogy Links.