From at least 1889 to 1892 Joseph Medlin was the proprietor of the Fountain Hotel in Market Street, Falmouth.Joseph Medlin was born circa 1837 in Falmouth, Cornwall, England, United Kingdom to Joseph Medlin (1802-1888) and Jane Green (1828-) and died 20 August 1897 in Falmouth, Cornwall, England, United Kingdom of unspecified causes. He married Mary Weeks (c1815-) 11 August 1861 in Stoke, Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. He married Charlotte James (1852-1913) in Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. Ancestors are from the United Kingdom.
In 1871 Joseph Medlin was living with Mary at the Royal Hotel Tap, Fish Strand Hill, as an innkeeper (tap).
In 1881 he was living in Webber Street, Falmouth, and described as a retired innkeeper.
By 1891 Joseph Medlin was the proprietor of the Fountain Hotel in Market Street, Falmouth.The undermentioned directories show that over the years a number of people had charge of the Fountain Inn. As stated in -
- Pigot's 1823, William Allen was innkeeper
- Pigot's 1830 William Allen
- Robson's 1839 John Gray
- Pigot's 1844 John Gray
- Slater's 1852 Charles King
- Postal 1862 Charles King
- Postal 1873 John Haley
- Kelly's 1889 Joseph Medlin
- Kelly's 1902 George Solomon.
Early in the 20th century the Fountain Inn changed its name to the Central Hotel, but later the building was demolished to make way for the Woolworth's store. This must have taken place before 1930 as there is no mention in Kelly's directory for that year.
|Offspring of Joseph Medlin and Charlotte James (1852-1913)|
|Charlotte (Lottie) Medlin (1890-1969)|| |
|Ellen Medlin (1891-)|| |
|Joseph Medlin (1892-1893)|| |
|Cissie Medlin (1895-1990)|
- Lottie was born 2 February 1890 in Falmouth and died 2 December 1969 in Bridgend, Glamorgan, Wales. She married Albert Semmens.
- Ellen was born 1891 in Falmouth and died in Barry, Glamorgan, Wales. She married John Jones.
- Joseph born December 1892 died in Falmouth at about four months old in Mar 1893.
- Cissie was born 25 October 1895 in Falmouth, Cornwall and died 3 February 1990 in Barry, Glamorgan, Wales. She married Alan Graham.