Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Kanabec County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Minnesota's location in the U.S.
|Founded||March 13, 1858 |
|Named for||The Ojibwe word for "snake," after the Snake River.|
533.38 sq mi (1,381 km²)
524.93 sq mi (1,360 km²)
8.45 sq mi (22 km²), 1.58%
29/sq mi (11/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Kanabec County (pronunciation: // kə-NAY-bək) is a county located in the U.S. state of Minnesota, founded on March 13, 1858. Its parent county was Pine. As of 2010, the population was 16,239. Its county seat is Mora (though the original county seat was Brunswick). It is named after the Ojibwe Ginebig, meaning "Snake," after the Snake River — Kanabecosippi (Ginebigo-ziibi in the modern spelling) — which flows through this county.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 533.38 square miles (1,381.4 km2), of which 524.93 square miles (1,359.6 km2) (or 98.42%) is land and 8.45 square miles (21.9 km2) (or 1.58%) is water.
- Aitkin County (north)
- Pine County (east)
- Chisago County (southeast)
- Isanti County (south)
- Mille Lacs County (west)
As of the census of 2000, there were 14,996 people, 5,759 households, and 4,146 families residing in the county. The population density was 29 people per square mile (11/km²). There were 6,846 housing units at an average density of 13 per square mile (5/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 97.27% White, 0.17% Black or African American, 0.81% Native American, 0.44% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.17% from other races, and 1.11% from two or more races. 0.93% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 30.2% were of German, 18.1% Swedish, 13.1% Norwegian, 5.5% American and 5.4% Irish ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 5,759 households out of which 34.10% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.80% were married couples living together, 8.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.00% were non-families. 23.80% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.30% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the county the population was spread out with 27.50% under the age of 18, 6.90% from 18 to 24, 27.50% from 25 to 44, 23.90% from 45 to 64, and 14.10% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 102.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $38,520, and the median income for a family was $43,603. Males had a median income of $32,329 versus $22,309 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,741. About 6.40% of families and 9.50% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.40% of those under age 18 and 10.10% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns Edit
† Braham is mainly in Isanti County, but extends into Kanabec County.
- ^ Minnesota State Government Series - State Counties
- ^ "2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File". American FactFinder. United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_PL_GCTPL2.ST05&prodType=table. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/county2k.txt. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Ziegler, Frank and Robert H Beck (1981). Ken-ā-big : the story of Kanabec County: an illustrated history of Kanabec County, its early years. Mora, MN: B & W Printers. ISBN 9781199491336. ISBN 1199491330.
|Mille Lacs County||Pine County|
Kanabec County, Minnesota
|Isanti County||Chisago County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Kanabec County, Minnesota. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|