|Kings Mountain, North Carolina|
|— town —|
|botryoidal Hematite with a distinctive multi-colored patina, from Crowders Mountain Iron Prospect near Kings Mountain.|
|• Total||8.2 sq mi (21.1 km2)|
|• Land||8.2 sq mi (21.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,007 ft (307 m)|
|• Density||1,187.1/sq mi (458.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0988003|
Originally the settlement was called White Plains, but when the city was incorporated in 1874, the name was changed. It was decided that Kings Mountain would be a more appropriate name since the community was the closest town to the historic Battle of Kings Mountain in York County.
Kings Mountain is located at (35.244105, -81.342544).
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,693 people, 3,821 households, and 2,674 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,187.1 people per square mile (458.1/km²). There were 4,064 housing units at an average density of 497.7 per square mile (192.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 74.85% White, 21.55% African American, 0.15% Native American, 1.81% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.63% from other races, and 0.99% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.43% of the population.
There were 3,821 households out of which 30.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.4% were married couples living together, 17.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.0% were non-families. 26.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.47 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the city the population was spread out with 25.3% under the age of 18, 7.4% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 22.4% from 45 to 64, and 17.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 85.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 80.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $31,415, and the median income for a family was $39,137. Males had a median income of $32,444 versus $22,201 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,920. About 13.4% of families and 19.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.2% of those under age 18 and 20.7% of those age 65 or over.
Greyhound Lines began scheduled intercity bus service on April 20, 2010. The station is housed at Battleground Petroleum, 726 York Rd., off Interstate 85. The close proximity to I-85 was a major factor in relocating this station from nearby Gastonia, North Carolina.
- Jake Early (1915-1985), Major League Baseball player
- Kevin Mack, NFL running back
- Jimmy Wayne, country musician
- Michael Edwards, owner of megastore home improvement business with multiple locations and TV Celebrity in Huntsville, AL
- John Henry Moss, mayor (23 years) and founder of the current South Atlantic League (baseball)
- Josh Mcabee, country singer
- City of Kings Mountain Website
- Kings Mountain National Military Park
- American Revolutionary War, Battle of Kings Mountain
- Parker Hannifin
- Indian Motorcycle Company
- ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Kings Mountain, North Carolina. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|