Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|La Crosse County, Wisconsin|
Location in the state of Wisconsin
Wisconsin's location in the U.S.
480 sq mi (1,243 km²)
453 sq mi (1,173 km²)
27 sq mi (70 km²), 5.66%
236/sq mi (91/km²)
La Crosse County is a county located in the U.S. state of Wisconsin. As of 2010, the population was 114,638. Its county seat is La Crosse. The La Crosse Metropolitan Statistical Area includes all of La Crosse County and Houston County, Minnesota, to the west.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 480 square miles (1,243.2 km2), of which 453 square miles (1,173.3 km2) is land and 27 square miles (69.9 km2) (5.66%) is water.
- Trempealeau County - northwest
- Jackson County - northeast
- Monroe County - east
- Vernon County - south
- Houston County, Minnesota - southwest
- Winona County, Minnesota - west
|WI Counties 1900-1990|
As of the census of 2000, there were 107,120 people, 41,599 households, and 25,583 families residing in the county. The population density was 237 people per square mile (91/km²). There were 43,479 housing units at an average density of 96 per square mile (37/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 94.2% White, 1.1% Black or African American, 2.41% Native American, 3.15% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.27% from other races, and 1.03% from two or more races. 0.92% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 38.9% were of German, 20.3% Norwegian and 7.9% Irish ancestry according to Census 2000. 94.8% spoke English, 1.8% Hmong and 1.7% Spanish as their first language.
There were 41,599 households out of which 29.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.00% were married couples living together, 8.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.50% were non-families. 28.40% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the county, the population was spread out with 23.60% under the age of 18, 15.60% from 18 to 24, 27.50% from 25 to 44, 20.80% from 45 to 64, and 12.50% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 94.10 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.70 males.
Cities, villages, and townsEdit
- Brice Prairie, part of the Town of Onalaska and an urban reserve area of the City of Onalaska
- French Island
- St. Joseph
Unincorporated communities Edit
- County Chair: Tara Johnson (non-partisan)
- District Attorney: Tim Gruenke
- Sheriff: Steve Helgeson
- Register of Deeds: Cheryl McBride
- Board of Supervisors: (35 members)
- County Administrator: Steve O'Malley
|2008||60.94% 38,524||37.49% 23,701|
|2004||53.38% 33,170||45.53% 28,289|
|2000||51.22% 28,455||43.79% 24,327|
- National Register of Historic Places listings in La Crosse County, Wisconsin
- Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge
- ^ http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ http://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_67d9067c-b3f1-11e0-9209-001cc4c03286.html
- ^ http://www.co.la-crosse.wi.us/CoDirctry/2SupervDist.pdf
- ^ http://www.co.la-crosse.wi.us/departments/admin%20coord/
- La Crosse County
- La Crosse County Health and Demographic Data
- Biographical History of La Crosse, Trempealeau and Buffalo Counties, Wisconsin.
|Trempealeau County||Jackson County|
|Winona County, Minnesota||Monroe County|
La Crosse County, Wisconsin
|Houston County, Minnesota||Vernon County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at La Crosse County, Wisconsin. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|