Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Lawrence County, Arkansas|
Lawrence County Courthouse
Location in the state of Arkansas
Arkansas's location in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1815|
|Named for||James Lawrence|
|Largest city||Walnut Ridge|
592 sq mi (1,533 km²)
588 sq mi (1,523 km²)
4.7 sq mi (12 km²), 0.8%
30/sq mi (11.46/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Lawrence County is a county located in the U.S. state of Arkansas. As of the 2010 census, the population was 17,415. The county seat is Walnut Ridge. Lawrence County is Arkansas's second county, formed on January 15, 1815, and named for Captain James Lawrence who fought in the War of 1812. It is an alcohol prohibition or dry county.
- Randolph County (north)
- Greene County (east)
- Craighead County (southeast)
- Jackson County (south)
- Independence County (southwest)
- Sharp County (west)
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the 2000 United States Census, there were 17,774 people, 7,108 households, and 5,011 families residing in the county. The population density was 30 people per square mile (12/km²). There were 8,085 housing units at an average density of 14 per square mile (5/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 97.78% White, 0.44% Black or African American, 0.57% Native American, 0.05% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.12% from other races, and 1.02% from two or more races. 0.68% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 7,108 households out of which 30.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.70% were married couples living together, 9.60% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.50% were non-families. 26.70% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.92.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.00% under the age of 18, 9.60% from 18 to 24, 25.90% from 25 to 44, 23.20% from 45 to 64, and 17.40% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 93.60 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.40 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $27,139, and the median income for a family was $32,163. Males had a median income of $26,288 versus $18,518 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,785. About 13.90% of families and 18.40% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.50% of those under age 18 and 20.10% of those age 65 or over.
Public education is available from four school districts:
- Hillcrest School District
- Hoxie School District
- Lawrence County School District
- Sloan–Hendrix School District
Townships in Arkansas are the divisions of a county. Each township includes unincorporated areas and some may have incorporated towns or cities within part of their space. Townships have limited purposes in modern times. However, the US Census does list Arkansas population based on townships (often referred to as "minor civil divisions"). Townships are also of value for historical purposes in terms of genealogical research. Each town or city is within one or more townships in an Arkansas county based on census maps. The townships of Lawrence County are listed below with the town(s) and/or city that are fully or partially inside them listed in parentheses.
- Ashland (Minturn)
- Black River (Powhatan)
- Black Rock (most of Black Rock)
- Boas (Hoxie, part of Walnut Ridge)
- Campbell (College City, most of Walnut Ridge)
- Dent (Imboden)
- Duty (Portia, small part of Black Rock)
- Flat Creek
- Marion (Alicia)
- Morgan (Lynn)
- Promised Land (Sedgwick)
- Reeds Creek (Strawberry)
- Richwoods (small part of Walnut Ridge)
- Spring River (small part of Ravenden)
- Strawberry (Smithville)
- Thacker (most of Ravenden)
- List of lakes in Lawrence County, Arkansas
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Lawrence County, Arkansas
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/05/05075.html. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. U.S. Government Printing Office. p. 182. https://books.google.com/books?id=9V1IAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA182.
- ^ "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. http://www2.census.gov/geo/docs/maps-data/data/gazetteer/counties_list_05.txt. Retrieved August 27, 2015.
- ^ "County Totals Dataset: Population, Population Change and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". http://www.census.gov/popest/data/counties/totals/2015/CO-EST2015-alldata.html. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved August 27, 2015.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved August 27, 2015.
- ^ Forstall, Richard L., ed (March 27, 1995). "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/ar190090.txt. Retrieved August 27, 2015.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. April 2, 2001. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved August 27, 2015.
- ^ Based on 2000 census data
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- ^ U. S. Census Bureau. 2011 Boundary and Annexation Survey (BAS): Lawrence County, AR [map]. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- ^ "Arkansas: 2010 Census Block Maps - County Subdivision". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/maps/block/2010/cousub/dc10blk_st05_cousub.html#L. Retrieved May 29, 2014.
|Sharp County||Greene County|
Lawrence County, Arkansas
|Independence County||Jackson County||Craighead County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Lawrence County, Arkansas. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|