Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Lee County, Arkansas|
Lee County Courthouse in Marianna
Location in the state of Arkansas
Arkansas's location in the U.S.
|Founded||April 17, 1873|
|Named for||Robert E. Lee|
620 sq mi (1,606 km²)
603 sq mi (1,562 km²)
17 sq mi (44 km²), 2.7%
17/sq mi (7/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Lee County is a county located in the U.S. state of Arkansas. As of the 2010 census, the population was 10,424. The county seat is Marianna. Lee County is Arkansas's 72nd county, formed alongside St. Francis and Phillips counties on April 17, 1873, and named for Confederate General Robert E. Lee.
- St. Francis County (north)
- Crittenden County (northeast)
- Tunica County, Mississippi (east)
- Phillips County (south)
- Monroe County (west)
National protected areaEdit
- St. Francis National Forest (part)
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 10,424 people residing in the county. 55.3% were Black or African American, 42.0% White, 0.5% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 0.7% of some other race and 1.2% of two or more races. 1.6% were Hispanic or Latino (of any race).
As of the 2000 United States Census, there were 12,580 people, 4,182 households, and 2,960 families residing in the county. The population density was 21 people per square mile (8/km²). There were 4,768 housing units at an average density of 8 per square mile (3/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 41.41% White, 57.24% Black or African American, 0.16% Native American, 0.27% Asian, 0.52% from other races, and 0.40% from two or more races. 2.19% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 4,182 households out of which 31.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.20% were married couples living together, 23.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.20% were non-families. 27.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 3.14.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.00% under the age of 18, 10.20% from 18 to 24, 28.70% from 25 to 44, 21.10% from 45 to 64, and 14.00% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 111.40 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 118.40 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $20,510, and the median income for a family was $25,846. Males had a median income of $26,900 versus $19,505 for females. The per capita income for the county was $10,983. About 24.70% of families and 29.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 38.80% of those under age 18 and 27.60% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructureEdit
- Marianna (county seat)
Townships in Arkansas are the divisions of a county. Each township includes unincorporated areas and some may have incorporated towns or cities within part of their space. Townships have limited purposes in modern times. However, the US Census does list Arkansas population based on townships (often referred to as "minor civil divisions"). Townships are also of value for historical purposes in terms of genealogical research. Each town or city is within one or more townships in an Arkansas county based on census maps. The townships of Lee County are listed below with the town(s) and/or city that are fully or partially inside them listed in parentheses.
- List of lakes in Lee County, Arkansas
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Lee County, Arkansas
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/05/05077.html. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ a b "Lee County". Local.Arkansas.gov: County and Municipal Information & Services. http://local.arkansas.gov/local.php?agency=Lee%20County. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- ^ "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. http://www2.census.gov/geo/docs/maps-data/data/gazetteer/counties_list_05.txt. Retrieved August 27, 2015.
- ^ "County Totals Dataset: Population, Population Change and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". http://www.census.gov/popest/data/counties/totals/2015/CO-EST2015-alldata.html. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved August 27, 2015.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved August 27, 2015.
- ^ Forstall, Richard L., ed (March 27, 1995). "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/ar190090.txt. Retrieved August 27, 2015.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. April 2, 2001. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved August 27, 2015.
- ^ Based on 2000 census data
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- ^ "Facilities: East Arkansas Regional Unit". Arkansas Department of Correction. http://adc.arkansas.gov/faciliities/Pages/facilityDetails.aspx?show=13. Retrieved March 8, 2011.
- ^ "Lee County Arkansas Courthouse". County Criminal Records. http://lee.countycriminal.com/court-records-search/AR. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- ^ U. S. Census Bureau. 2011 Boundary and Annexation Survey (BAS): Lee County, AR [map]. Retrieved 2011-08-09.
- ^ "Arkansas: 2010 Census Block Maps - County Subdivision". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/maps/block/2010/cousub/dc10blk_st05_cousub.html#L. Retrieved May 29, 2014.
|St. Francis County||Crittenden County|
|Monroe County||Tunica County, Mississippi|
Lee County, Arkansas
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Lee County, Arkansas. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|