Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Lewis and Clark County, Montana|
Location in the state of Montana
Montana's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Meriwether Lewis and William Clark|
3,498 sq mi (9,060 km²)
3,459 sq mi (8,959 km²)
39 sq mi (101 km²), 1.1%
18/sq mi (7/km²)
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
Lewis and Clark County is a county located in the U.S. state of Montana. As of the 2010 census, the population was 63,395. Its county seat is Helena, the state capital. The numerical designation for Lewis and Clark County (used in the issuance of the state's license plates) is 5. The county was established in 1865 as Edgerton County, and was renamed "Lewis and Clark County" two years later.
Lewis and Clark County is part of the Helena, MT Micropolitan Statistical Area.
- Teton County - north
- Cascade County - east
- Meagher County - east
- Broadwater County - southeast
- Jefferson County - south
- Powell County - west
- Flathead County - northwest
National protected areasEdit
- Flathead National Forest (part)
- Helena National Forest (part)
- Lewis and Clark National Forest (part)
- Lolo National Forest (part)
- Rocky Mountain Front Conservation Area (part)
As of the  of 2000, there were 55,716 people, 22,850 households, and 14,966 families residing in the county. The population density was 16 people per square mile (6/km²). There were 25,672 housing units at an average density of 7 per square mile (3/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 95.21% white, 0.20% Black or African American, 2.04% Native American, 0.52% Asian American, 0.05% Pacific Islander American, 0.38% from other races, and 1.61% from two or more races. 1.51% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 22.6% were of German, 15.5% Irish, 10.9% English, 9.5% Norwegian and 6.1% American ancestry according to the 2000 Census.
There were 22,850 households out of which 32.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.40% were married couples living together, 9.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.50% were non-families. 29.10% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.95.
In the county the population was spread out with 25.60% under the age of 18, 8.50% from 18 to 24, 27.90% from 25 to 44, 26.20% from 45 to 64, and 11.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 96.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $37,360, and the median income for a family was $46,766. Males had a median income of $33,515 versus $23,961 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,763. About 7.30% of families and 10.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.60% of those under age 18 and 6.50% of those age 65 or over.
In the county of the population that's 25 years old and over 91.4% of them have a High school diploma, 31.6% of that population has a Bachelor's degree or higher, 17.2% of the population is disabled, 1.6% of them are foreign born, and only 4.0% of the population can speak another language at home. According to the 2000 Census 59.7% of the population (male) is married but, now separated. For the women it is only 3% lower at 56.7%. The average family size is 2.95. In the county there are 25,672 homes, 2,822 of which are vacant.
- Helena (county seat)
- Helena Valley Northeast
- Helena Valley Northwest
- Helena Valley Southeast
- Helena Valley West Central
- Helena West Side
- Seth Bullock, sheriff of Lewis and Clark County, and later served as sheriff of Deadwood, South Dakota.
- Mike McGrath, current Chief Justice of the Montana Supreme Court, former Montana Attorney General, previously served as County Attorney of Lewis and Clark County.
- Johnny Miljus, major league baseball pitcher, retired to Fort Harrison in Lewis and Clark County.
- W. A. Boyle, president of the United Mine Workers of America, was born in Bald Butte, about two miles southwest of Marysville.
- Brian Knight, Major League Baseball umpire
- All of the Governors of the state of Montana, whose capital city, Helena, is in this county.
- List of cemeteries in Lewis and Clark County, Montana
- List of lakes in Lewis and Clark County, Montana
- List of mountains in Lewis and Clark County, Montana
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Lewis and Clark County, Montana
- ^ a b "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/30/30049.html. Retrieved September 15, 2013.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Montana Place Names Companion". Montana Place Names From Alzada to Zortman. Montana Historical Society Research Center. http://mtplacenames.org/. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- ^ "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/docs/gazetteer/counties_list_30.txt. Retrieved November 28, 2014.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved November 28, 2014.
- ^ "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu. Retrieved November 28, 2014.
- ^ "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/mt190090.txt. Retrieved November 28, 2014.
- ^ "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/briefs/phc-t4/tables/tab02.pdf. Retrieved November 28, 2014.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Flathead County||Teton County|
|Powell County||Cascade County and Meagher County|
Lewis and Clark County, Montana
|Jefferson County||Broadwater County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Lewis and Clark County, Montana. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|