Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Lowndes County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Mississippi's location in the U.S.
516.45 sq mi (1,338 km²)
502.30 sq mi (1,301 km²)
14.15 sq mi (37 km²), 2.74%
122/sq mi (47/km²)
Lowndes County is a county located in the U.S. state of Mississippi. As of 2010, the population was 59,779. Its county seat is Columbus. Lowndes County is named for U.S. Congressman William Jones Lowndes.
The Columbus Micropolitan Statistical Area includes all of Lowndes County.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 516.45 square miles (1,337.6 km2), of which 502.30 square miles (1,301.0 km2) (or 97.26%) is land and 14.15 square miles (36.6 km2) (or 2.74%) is water.
- U.S. Highway 45
- U.S. Highway 45 Alternate
- U.S. Highway 82
- Mississippi Highway 12
- Mississippi Highway 50
- Mississippi Highway 69
- Mississippi Highway 182
- Noxubee County (south)
- Oktibbeha County (west)
- Clay County (northwest)
- Monroe County (north)
- Lamar County, Alabama (northeast)
- Pickens County, Alabama (southeast)
|MS Counties 1900-1990|
GeoHive - 2000 & 2010 statistics
As of the census of 2000, there were 61,586 people, 22,849 households, and 16,405 families residing in the county. The population density was 123 people per square mile (47/km²). There were 25,104 housing units at an average density of 50 per square mile (19/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 56.47% White, 41.56% Black or African American, 0.17% Native American, 0.54% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.39% from other races, and 0.85% from two or more races. 1.11% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 22,849 households out of which 36.50% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.20% were married couples living together, 18.70% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.20% were non-families. 24.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.61 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the county the population was spread out with 28.60% under the age of 18, 10.60% from 18 to 24, 29.20% from 25 to 44, 20.40% from 45 to 64, and 11.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 89.90 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $32,123, and the median income for a family was $38,248. Males had a median income of $31,792 versus $20,640 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,514. About 18.00% of families and 21.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 31.80% of those under age 18 and 16.80% of those age 65 or over.
Primary and secondary schoolsEdit
The Columbus Municipal School District includes:
- Columbus High School
- S.D. Lee Middle School
- R.E. Hunt Intermediate School
- Cook Elementary Fine Arts Magnet School
- Fairview Elementary Aerospace & Science Magnet
- Franklin Elementary Medical Sciences & Wellness Magnet School
- Sale Elementary International Studies Magnet
- Stokes-Beard Elementary Technology & Communication Magnet.
The Lowndes County School District has 3 areas, each with an elementary school, a middle school, and a high school:
- New Hope
- West Lowndes.
Colleges and universitiesEdit
Lowndes County is within the service area of the East Mississippi Community College system. The Golden Triangle Campus is located in Mayhew, an unincorporated area in Lowndes County. The system also offers classes in the Columbus Air Force Base Extension in Columbus.
- Unincorporated places
- Ghost towns
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/county2k.txt. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ School District, Columbus Municipal (2005). "Schools: Columbus Municipal School District, Columbus, Mississippi" (in English) (HTML). http://www.columbuscityschools.org/schools.html. Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- ^ School District, Lowndes County (2007-2008). "The Lowndes County School District" (in English) (HTML). http://www.lowndes.k12.ms.us/Profile.htm. Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- ^ "CATALOG 2007-2009." East Mississippi Community College. 3 (3/147). Retrieved on March 1, 2011.
- ^ "CATALOG 2007-2009." East Mississippi Community College. 10 (10/147). Retrieved on March 1, 2011.
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Lowndes County, Mississippi. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|