Also known as Maghiel Hogendoorn. He lived in Ter Aar before moving to Haarlem.
Machiel Hogendoorn was born on 29 July 1812 in Nieuwkoop, South Holland. His parents were Symen Hogendoorn (c1761-1833), a labourer and Machteld Marbus (1779-1850). He had one sister, Marrigje. Their parents had married in 1808; Machteld was the widow of Arij Boef. The family moved to Oudewater, where Symen died, and then to Ter Aar.
Machiel married Pieternelletje Bergman (1810-1860) on 7 March 1845 in Ter Aar. At the time, Machiel was a labourer and Pieternelletje was a cleaner. Both their mothers were living locally. Machiel and Pieternelletje were married for fifteen years and had five children, including a stillborn son and a son who died in infancy. They moved to Haarlem in about 1846.
Machiel was widowed when Pieternelletje died on 27 July 1860, two days before his 48th birthday. Machiel lived for five more years before he passed away on 17 October 1865 in Haarlem aged 53.
- 1845: Machiel Hoogendoorn, 33, werkman, living in Ter Aar (March)
- 1845: Machiel Hogendoorn, 33, werkman
- 1850: Maghiel Hogendoorn, 37, werkman
- 1851: Machiel Hogendoorn, 39, werkman
- 1857: Machiel Hogendoorn, werkman
- 1865: Maghiel Hogendoorn, 53, werkman