Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Mahoning County, Ohio|
Location in the state of Ohio
Ohio's location in the U.S.
|Founded||March 1, 1846|
|Named for||a Native American word for salt lick|
425.29 sq mi (1,101 km²)
411.62 sq mi (1,066 km²)
13.66 sq mi (35 km²), 3.21%
580.2/sq mi (224/km²)
|Congressional districts||6th, 13th|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Mahoning County is a county located in the state of Ohio. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 238,823, which is a decrease of 7.3% from 257,555 in 2000. Its county seat is Youngstown. The county is named for an Indian word meaning "salt lick".
According to the 2010 census, the county has a total area of 425.29 square miles (1,101.5 km2), of which 411.62 square miles (1,066.1 km2) (or 96.79%) is land and 13.66 square miles (35.4 km2) (or 3.21%) is water.
- Trumbull County (north)
- Mercer County, Pennsylvania (northeast)
- Lawrence County, Pennsylvania (east)
- Columbiana County (south)
- Stark County (southwest)
- Portage County (northwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 257,555 people, 102,587 households, and 68,835 families residing in the county. The population density was 620 people per square mile (239/km²). There were 111,762 housing units at an average density of 269 per square mile (104/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 81.04% White, 15.87% Black or African American, 0.17% Native American, 0.47% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.03% from other races, and 1.38% from two or more races. 2.97% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 102,587 households out of which 28.40% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.00% were married couples living together, 14.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.90% were non-families. 29.10% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.10% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the county, the population was spread out with 23.70% under the age of 18, 8.40% from 18 to 24, 26.40% from 25 to 44, 23.70% from 45 to 64, and 17.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 91.40 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $35,248, and the median income for a family was $44,185. Males had a median income of $36,313 versus $23,272 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,818. About 9.60% of families and 12.50% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.10% of those under age 18 and 8.70% of those age 65 or over.
- ^ "Ohio County Profiles: Mahoning County" (PDF). Ohio Department of Development. http://www.odod.state.oh.us/research/FILES/S0/Mahoning.pdf. Retrieved 2007-04-28.
- ^ a b "Mahoning County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/39/39099.html. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- ^ "Find a County". National Association of Counties. http://www.naco.org/Counties/Pages/FindACounty.aspx. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Mahoning County data". Ohio State University Extension Data Center. Archived from the original on 2008-01-12. http://web.archive.org/web/20080112145136/http://www.osuedc.org/profiles/profile_entrance.php?fips=39099&sid=0. Retrieved 2007-04-28.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. http://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html. Retrieved November 6, 2013.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ http://www.mla.org/cgi-shl/docstudio/docs.pl?map_data_results
|Portage County||Trumbull County||Mercer County, Pennsylvania|
|Lawrence County, Pennsylvania|
Mahoning County, Ohio
|Stark County||Columbiana County|
|This page uses content from the English language Wikipedia. The original content was at Mahoning County, Ohio. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this Familypedia wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons License.|